Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New and in need of help

I am a schoolie will be. I am trying to learn how to navigate skoolies.net. I posted something but noticed a symbol. When I selected it, it seemed that I was not supposed to post there. I hope this is the correct site.

I am trying to find out if I can park a skoolie on residential property in broward county. I cannot get a human in city hall on the phone. I also want to know if I need a special driver's license. Then I want to know where to start with buying an already livable skoolie.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. What is a tag?

skoolbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Bus Geek

welcome

A thread is something someone starts to ask a question...like you did here

Why you decided to click on the scariest looking icon, I don't know

what you did was report yourself.

I would spend alot of time reading the posts/threads in general and just enjoy everyones pictures and ideas

start a book/.folder and put pictures and ideas in it for your build

buying an already done skoolie can be $5k+, buy a cheap bus, take out seats and you have a metal tent, start there and put stuff in as you see fit, at least south florida is warm

enjoy the site
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I am under some time constraints.
How do I start a book/.folder?
Would my skoolie need to be insulated in order to cool properly?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
By book/folder he means a physical one. I have a file folder that I put all my printed out ideas/how-to's and pictures. Nice way to keep everything together.

In Florida, I doubt it would cool properly with the heat/humidity there unless the bus already has a beefy A/C...The "insulation" that comes standard on skoolies is very minimal.
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I went to my city hall zoning desk and checked whether I could park an RV on my lot. Turns out I could but had to extend my driveway in order to be legal. Other lots in my neighborhood were not able to park RV's due to the shape of the lot or the inability to park behind the house so it's best to check the restrictions on your particular lot. If your bus is not titled as an RV be aware that many communities won't allow you to park commercial vehicles on your lot. Sooner or later, the city inspectors *will* check.

If you have a neighborhood home owners association be sure to check with them also. They can make your life miserable.

Once your bus is titled as an RV your standard drivers license is enough almost everywhere.

Finding a bus that's already been converted (presumably done to your taste and near you) is doable but likely to be a long search. There just aren't that many out there.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
I went to my city hall zoning desk and checked whether I could park an RV on my lot. Turns out I could but had to extend my driveway in order to be legal. Other lots in my neighborhood were not able to park RV's due to the shape of the lot or the inability to park behind the house so it's best to check the restrictions on your particular lot. If your bus is not titled as an RV be aware that many communities won't allow you to park commercial vehicles on your lot. Sooner or later, the city inspectors *will* check.

If you have a neighborhood home owners association be sure to check with them also. They can make your life miserable.

Once your bus is titled as an RV your standard drivers license is enough almost everywhere.

Finding a bus that's already been converted (presumably done to your taste and near you) is doable but likely to be a long search. There just aren't that many out there.
thank you. i will find a new temp home where i can park it. then i will keep looking for a skoolie locally.