Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #201
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Start out with the BIGGEST bus you can find. 240 sq ft for mine and i'm solo.

CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #202
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatheranny View Post
Hello! We're getting married in 6 days. And after a few weeks of extremely stressful house hunting, we are considering going the opposite route and converting a bus to move in to full time.2 adults and one 5 year old boy.
I will begin my research here.
Any advice on necessities to have when moving in full-time with a child?
My research is starting from scratch.
Thanks so much!
We will be parked during the school year often in our hometown and will be travelling over summer primarily.

Getting married, finding a bus, converting a bus, finding a place to locate it during the school year seems like a lot of stuff to deal with all at the same time. But it can be done!

I would say to you the same thing I have said to many others, spend the $$$ up front to get the bus you want. If you need your bus to be able to go highway speeds then look for a bus with big HP and highway gearing. It will be less stressful and less expensive in the long run to find a bus that is already set up to go highway speeds rather than to retrofit a bus with highway gearing and increasing the HP.

I would also suggest in the mean time to go to all of the RV and tiny home shows to get an idea as to what would work for a floor plan for you and your family. There are only so many ways in which you can arrange the pieces if you want a living area, a kitchen, a bathroom, and sleeping space. But there are a lot of variations on the general theme.

Our church has a bus for sale that would make a really good candidate for a conversion. It is one of the largest buses made with the highest standard headroom. It has decent HP and will cruise 60-65 MPH all day long. And it has had a lot of the expensive stuff already updated or repaired. Which tends to explain the high cost. https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/6860756837.html

If you are in a hurry and don't want to spend the time and $$$ on converting a bus by yourself there are some very good bus like moho's out there for sale.

Here are some Blue Bird Wanderlodge for sale websites:

https://www.buybyebluebird.com/
Wanderlodge Motorhomes for sale VintageBirds Chapter FMCA -

Here are some Newell Coach for sale websites:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/198...sic-5006242294

Bus Nuts Online also has a want ads section where converted buses are listed for sale:

WoBN's Classifieds

Good Luck and Happy Trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #203

Year: 2011
Coachwork: International Aero Elite
Help

I know this sounds like a crazy question but I can't find where I am supposed to be able to ask a question. Can someone help me?
vi_king2013@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #204
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by vi_king2013@yahoo View Post
I know this sounds like a crazy question but I can't find where I am supposed to be able to ask a question. Can someone help me?
Go to the thread forum you are interested in. At the top left will be a prompt for "New Thread" click that and post your message.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #205

Year: 2011
Coachwork: International Aero Elite
Hello

I know how many miles my bus has on it. But how can I find out how many hours it has on it? Thank you.
vi_king2013@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #206
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi_king2013@yahoo View Post
I know how many miles my bus has on it. But how can I find out how many hours it has on it? Thank you.
Your questions can be better answered if you join the community by going to the UserCP in the upper left and filling out your profile. Fill out everything you can on it. I would normally say there is an hour meter on the dash, but I have no idea what bus you have. You may be able to download that info from the computer, if you have one of those.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
It would appear as if Drews Crew has found a really pretty nice bus.

If it has the DT466 the transmission on a 2003 is most likely the MD3060. Getting IC to release 6th gear might be difficult. But with 5 gears and 5th OD you should be able to cruise easily at 60-65 MPH without any problem.

Good Luck and Happy Trails to you!
So when I put the bus into drive it shows the number 6 on the digital display. Does that mean 6th gear is unlocked?
Flyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #208
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyp View Post
So when I put the bus into drive it shows the number 6 on the digital display. Does that mean 6th gear is unlocked?
Yes sir, you got a good one.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Yes sir, you got a good one.
Thank you sir. Appreciate the knowledge.
Flyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #210

Year: ####
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Looking to buy or build a skoolie for full time living. I've read a few posts here.... so I pretty much know everything now. JK'n. I know nothing, any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 AM   #211

New guy

Just got bus a 1993 7.3 idi 5sp. 10wind.
Kenfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #212
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Bus

Sounds nice. Good luck and happy trails. Hope to see ya on the rode
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #213

Chassis: Chevy Express
Engine: 3500
Hello everybody!

Just bought a 1999 Chevy short bus(Bluebird). Seems most people here convert into Tiny/Mobile homes. I’m converting it into a food truck!
Attached Thumbnails
A238E0D4-C43C-4088-A8E7-7C5D52B2B6A4.jpg   7088008D-C45D-4741-85D8-6974B2BA427C.jpg  
NomadicBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #214
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Tc2000
Sounds like a plan. Good luck
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #215

Year: ?
Chassis: ?
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: ?
Just starting out

Hi All,
So im new to posting but ive been on here for awhile now. Finally looking to start my journey to find my home on wheels. But im still trying to figure out if i should buy one in my home state of NY or if i should travel a bit south where there isnt as much rust. Along with that i am still trying to compare different models to see what will be the best fit if i plan to live in it full time. The only thing i know for sure is that i love the dog nose style over the flat nose but thats as far as ive gotten.

If anyone has any advice i would SO greatly appreciate it.

Thank you and keep adventuring
Rolling_Adventure24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #216
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Welcome! And good luck in finding THE bus that's right for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_Adventure24 View Post
Hi All,
So im new to posting but ive been on here for awhile now. Finally looking to start my journey to find my home on wheels. But im still trying to figure out if i should buy one in my home state of NY or if i should travel a bit south where there isnt as much rust. Along with that i am still trying to compare different models to see what will be the best fit if i plan to live in it full time. The only thing i know for sure is that i love the dog nose style over the flat nose but thats as far as ive gotten.

Definitely cast a wider net! Rust can easily be a deal breaker, and you aren't gonna find rust-free in your part of the world, unless you luck into one somebody else imported into NY...
Plenty of threads on the forum covering which states and auctions to suss out.
Itemize your planned utilization. If you're staying in the flatlands you'll have more options than if you expect to be mountain climbing! Again, plenty enough threads here on engine/tranny/body style. Time to start studying...

Welcome to the asylum!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #217
Bus Geek

No one will recommend one from your state. The extra you spend in travelling for the bus will be saved in the cost and labor of repairing a rusty hulk before you get started.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #218
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Welcome! And good luck in finding THE bus that's right for you.Definitely cast a wider net! Rust can easily be a deal breaker, and you aren't gonna find rust-free in your part of the world, unless you luck into one somebody else imported into NY...
Plenty of threads on the forum covering which states and auctions to suss out.
Itemize your planned utilization. If you're staying in the flatlands you'll have more options than if you expect to be mountain climbing! Again, plenty enough threads here on engine/tranny/body style. Time to start studying...

Welcome to the asylum!
As the proud owner of a rusty NY bus I can affirm that OP needs to head south or southwest. It's hard to quantify just how much additional time and money serious rust will cost you (months and thousands is kind of where I'm going with this) and it's impossible to quantify the drain on your spirit. If you want to make this an actual, practical financial endeavor, then you need to avoid rust at all costs (BTW you will absolutely not be able to tell how bad the rust is just from pictures, which is why entirely avoiding buses from certain regions is sensible).

I don't think building and selling skoolies can really be a practical commercial activity without seriously scamming people, but I actually think doing it with food trucks could be, given how expensive they are (not sure why you're doing this, just commenting).
Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #219
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_Adventure24 View Post
Hi All,

Hi there and welcome! I'm in Orange County NY. Where are you?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #220

Year: ?
Chassis: ?
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: ?
I'm in Rochester NY.
Rolling_Adventure24 is offline   Reply With Quote