Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2022, 09:23 AM   #341

Year: 1954
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Super coach
Engine: Silver diamond straight 6
Lol I like it poor horse!! Wait dead horse nevermind! Sorry...

Newschooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:57 PM   #342
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird international
Hi! I’m new here and just bought my first bus!! Thank you so much for this nice welcome post! I hope I’m replying correctly lol… I was trying to make a post bc I have an oil leak 😩😩 and from what I read there are some very knowledgeable people on here.
CajunCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:47 AM   #343

Hello, just getting started. Don’t even have a vehicle yet but on the lookout. If anyone has any good leads on where to find inexpensive handicap buses or step vans (UPS type) please let me know.
Leestrontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:06 PM   #344

Fork in the road

Well, it is how life goes. I wanted to convert a box truck but I am finding shuttles much more affordable. I also like the amount of light with all the windows. Since all my prior research was done on box trucks, I now need to look into skoolies. I will be reading many forums and asking many questions.
I became a member of CheapRV Living for the education and companionship and hope to find the same here. Are there others who are members of both? Any other forum suggestions?
Dreamrunnerjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:14 PM   #345

Hello! I'm extremely new to all of this. I haven't purchased my bus yet, just trying to figure everything out. I know I'll be living in it year round while traveling for work. I'm in IT. Wifi is my biggest concern. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ImperfectlyPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:04 PM   #346
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperfectlyPerfect View Post
Hello! I'm extremely new to all of this. I haven't purchased my bus yet, just trying to figure everything out. I know I'll be living in it year round while traveling for work. I'm in IT. Wifi is my biggest concern. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you're looking for advice on mobile internet solutions, I'd suggest starting a new thread in a more appropriate sub-forum, such as this
Old 01-10-2023, 08:35 AM   #347
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
New Member Intro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperfectlyPerfect View Post
--------------------

Hi, ImperfectlyPerfect!

Welcome to skoolie.net. This is the New Member Intro thread and it's a terrific space to introduce yourself and your intentions.

Tell us more about your bus plans and where you will be traveling. We are a large community, filled with (mosty) helpful bus owners. Ask away, we can help.

The site is also searchable. Use the the [Search] window at the top of the page to find to find subject-specific information.

ImperfectlyPerfect,
What type of bus are you seeking? Van, dognose, flatnose, shuttle, coach....
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 02:52 PM   #348

New Skoolie Conversion

Hello all - this is rkburton. Just saying hi as a new member to this community. My wife and I live in Arizona. We own a 35 foot 1996 International Navistar. We spent late summer last year fixing rust and finalizing interior demo. We are now moving on to the "fun stuff". Sub-floor and flooring are almost complete. Starting walls and infrastructure next. Looking forward to the wealth of knowledge you all have and will certainly share what we learn.
rkburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:11 AM   #349
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Jimmy/Corbeil
Chassis: 96 International 3800
Engine: T444E, AT545
Rated Cap: 36
Hi I’m Jimmy

I’ve been doing the Skoolie thing for 6 years now. My bus has treated me well with no breakdowns other than a couple fuel pumps. I maintain the hell out of it. I’ve done 50 000km so far, and counting. I’m currently battling my bus cancer, and have decided to change the paint to emerald green. I got a wood stove, a **** shower shaver bathroom, a full kitchen, a nice twin bed(new mattress!!), and an excellent stereo system. My bus is humble, but good. Nice to meet you, and I hope I can be helpful. My bus name is Moses.
jimmy649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:46 PM   #350

Hello all,
I have been living in my 26 foot travel trailer full time for 6 years but I have been dreaming of a skoolie for years. The first step seems to be the hardest.
MartyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 03:26 PM   #351

1997 International 3800 with a DT466E. Everything’s already done inside. Previous owner did much of the interior work already. But it has sat for several years on a farm. Before I could get it towed out of there the goats got to it and chewed a bunch of wires underneath. Have repaired most of them, but unsure about a few wires just dangling with no signs of where they go
321erace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:46 AM   #352

Hello from Cabool, MO. My wife and I have just purchased a 2009 International CE300 full-size that we will be converting. This is part of our retirement plan and will not be used full-time. Looking forward to this adventure!!
KrazyKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 02:46 AM   #353

Day 1 with the legendary Purple Bus

Well, legendary for a community of diehard mountain bike folks in Juneau, AK. This 85 by Carpenter Body Works (based on the rubber floor mat on the first step) has been in Southeast Alaska for pretty much its entire life. It was used as a school bus in Kake, Alaska, a small village community on Kupreanof Island, for a while before it was brought to Juneau. Later it was bought by a group of avid and adventurous mountain bikers to help with road trips up to Whitehorse and Carcross in the Yukon Territory, Canada. Back in those days (late 90's I think), I was an avid rider kind of on the periphery of that group. I never went on the trips, but I rode with a bunch of the folks and I heard the stories of their trips. After a bunch of years, the bus sat pretty dormant for a long time. The group pretty much stopped using the rig. Fast forward until today, when my wife, Melissa, and I bought The Purple Bus! It's cool that we're able to keep it within the cycling family (I opened my own bicycle store in 201.

For its age and what it is and where it has spent 40+ years, I feel like it's in good condition. The bus only has a little over 41,000 miles on it, with less than 2000 on the engine block. We really don't have any road trip plans for this. It's really just going to be used to shuttle bikes to local mountain bike trails or as a shuttle for performers (my wife is that production manager for drag shows and I do transportation when needed). It drives well enough for what we're looking to do for now. I have a friend who is a mechanic for a trucking company here, so I've got someone who can help with some of the bigger stuff. All the glass is good, there aren't any water leaks that I can find yet, and the frame and other sheet metal is in good shape. My focus in the short term is to deal with interior, electrical and heating.

So, the adventure begins!Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple Bus.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	73686
JuneauPurpleBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 01:58 AM   #354

Well Hello

Hi ! New to this and very excited to get going. Thank you
Laframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 11:15 AM   #355
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laframboise View Post
Hi ! New to this and very excited to get going. Thank you
Which bus did you get? Welcome aboard!
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 11:23 AM   #356

I found a 2001 genesis with DT466E and a MD3060. 65k miles and 5k hours. With auto chains and new tires. A little bit of rust underneath but I don’t think to bad. Price is $5,000. This is my first bus I have ever bought. What do you you all think?
Old 09-10-2023, 11:37 AM   #357

I’m buying this week. What do you think

I found a 2001 genesis with DT466E and a MD3060. 65k miles and 5k hours. With auto chains and new tires. A little bit of rust underneath but I don’t think to bad. Price is $5,000. This is my first bus I have ever bought. What do you you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6900.jpg   IMG_6901.jpg   IMG_6905.jpg   IMG_6906.jpg  
Old 09-10-2023, 06:26 PM   #358
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laframboise View Post
Looks like a great buy! Good engine and transmission. Those are low miles and hours. One of my buses has 285k miles and 19,000 hours. She’s tired now though but still going.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:48 PM   #359

Thanks you ! This is going to be a good start I hope
Old 09-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #360

So glad I found this forum. I am Jenn from Missouri and I want to live in a bus.

I have decided to go back to work as a police dispatcher and make my dreams come true. I don't plan on driving my bus around. I'm going to put it on a permanent foundation when I get mine. I want a 40 footer to redo.

Lumber is so expensive and I think this will save me a ton on my quest for a tiny house or a house in the country on some land to live out my "golden years"..

I feel very lucky that I can live on my SS check and save my paycheck for money and a conversion on a bus. And I'm lucky I have a house that I own, but it's just not how I want to live. I want to be off grid and out of town.

I'm not a hippie but I saw a container home painted black with huge gorgeous pink and purple and blue flowers and leaves all over it. That's how I want my bus to look!

It's so nice to be at an age where you really don't care if people agree with your plans or not!!

Thanks,
Jenn

p.s. I have three cats (Mamacita, Maggie and Jax), Two dogs (Molly the old chihuahua and Eli the young Aussie.

Jenn65 is offline   Reply With Quote