Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

New Bus

Hello fellow skoolies!!

I have an 89 international 77 passenger bus I bought a year ago. Obviously i am converting it, and plan to live in it full time with a partner and two kids. I would like the potential to actually go north and play in the snow being that I am organic farming the rest of the year. The bus has factory insulation in the roof and walls. It seems the layers go...outside skin , tar or tar paper, fiberglass insulation, inside skin...would it be ok to leave all that and insulate inside the bus? or should all that come out? I'm not too excited about all the screws. Also want to make sure I do not create un healthy indoor living conditions(mold). Finally, If I leave the factory insulation my understanding is that I would put the silver bubble wrap looking stuff :) next to the inside skin, followed by insulation and then vapor seal then siding...Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

banjo

ben berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Gut it floor to ceiling and the walls. The fiberglass batting is horrid, and reinsulate with foam- either board or spray. This will also interrupt the thermal breaks that allow your heat to escape in the winter, create moisture, and breed mold. The screws are easy. They should be combination Philips and square. A #2 square bit on an impact driver will pop them out in about 10-15 minutes, unless they're rusted in. Side panels are screwed and tack-welded under the windows, so they also have to come out as well so you can break the welds. Its a lot of work, but you'll get a healthier bus out of it.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #3

Ok sorry, I found previous comments on this...seems like majority believe removing old insulation is best...I knew that ..the Closed cell, two part spray foam in a two pound density seems to be the recommended route for the roof and side walls...Is the spray foam stand alone..?? No silver bubble wrap stuff needed?? and no vapor seal (plastic)?? no layering?? Thanks!!
Old 12-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

and prolly a dumb question...but once the inside metal skin is off and I spray or board..I can put whatever siding i want back...?? scrap the roof and wall metal/skin??
Old 12-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben berry View Post
and prolly a dumb question...but once the inside metal skin is off and I spray or board..I can put whatever siding i want back...?? scrap the roof and wall metal/skin??
Yep, scrap the interior panels. Putting them back in place will defeat the purpose of replacing the insulation.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

thx alot!!..im kinda dense....and just to clarify...I do not need to use bubble wrap or vapor barrier(plastic)?? just the board or spray foam(which i'm assuming already functions as the bubble wrap and vapor barrier(plastic)?

and also same idea on the floor?? My initial plan was to build a sub floor ...so in order of layer id have metal bus floor..silver bubble wrap..panel board insulation..vapor barrier..and then boxcar wood siding for my floor..?? Sorry if I'm being repetitive..I have been really confused by this from many people....Mostly I'm confused If I need the bubble wrap in any situation and the plastic "vapor barrier"..
Old 12-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #7

I'm not real familiar with forums...I also have a question about removing my radiator heater in the back of my bus..can this be done without draining the 20ft of hosing ..(should i start a new thread for this question)
Old 12-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Rated Cap: 72
subbed, I'm in a eerily similar situation to you.. organic farmer, family, new bus, have a lot of the same questions as you. good luck, stick with it and keep posting on the forum here so I can follow along ;)

Tags
insulation