Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New Bus for FT Future

Hello!

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and my family! We are a family of 5 with 2 dogs. We are those crazy people who before 30, lived on 2 continents, bought a house sight unseen and renovated it, sold it, decided we wanted to homestead, gave it 3 years and decided we didn't want to homestead. Now have fallen back into the dream of traveling. You could call us ADD but it's fun!

We gave our first swing at it a few months ago with a $300 Winnebago. I got it running, drove it home, gutted it and decided it was far too much work for a very restrictive floor plan. Being forced to keep plumbing and vents in certain places, not to mention the mechanical and physical degredation made it more work than we wanted to do. So we let that one go.

Now we have taken the plunge on what we wanted in the first place! On Thursday, we'll be picking up our new to us 72 passenger 2001 International school bus. It's got the DT466, nearly new tires, and no rust (Central Texas bus). It was a rural bus with 162k miles and was in service in December when the school district replaced all their 15 year old and older buses. Luckily, that rural bus means it has highway gears! It comfortably cruised at 55-60mph on my test drive.

So what's the plan? It's ambitious but we are hard workers. We want to finish clearing up our homestead (mostly down to clearing out the stuff we don't want in storage) and get it on the market by June. In the meantime, we are going to pull the bus onto the concrete pad we have and get to work. SketchUp plans have been made and I will start a build thread!

Once the house is sold we plan to park at one of the several skoolie friendly long term parks we have in our area while I figure out whether I want to transfer up to the PNW for work or if I can find some sort of mobile employment to support us. Long term goal is to be on the road full time for 6-12 months within the next 2 years then go from there.

Sorry for the long winded intro, but I see so many awesome builds and information on this forum and I really look forward to sharing. If it's kosher, I'd be happy to share the build Instagram page as well!

Aberry08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Welcome to the site! Looking forward to seeing your build.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote