Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

New Bus In Ohio!

Hey guys you've really inspired me to start building a skoolie, I looked around on auction sites for a while to get a feel for the prices, and asked around for a place to park it, and bribed anyone I could find to help me with it for free pizza. A week ago I got a 2008 CE200 77 passenger with 95k on the dash. A pair of new batteries was the only fixing it needed luckily!
Attached Thumbnails
STAPA082352RA.jpeg  

Samuraipanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Get that engine bulletproofed ASAP.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome Fellow Buckeye!!

Nice bus.. like ECCB says, take care of the engine.. 2008 CE200 I think is a Maxxforce 7.. it could be a left over VT365 (better than the MF7)..

did you get that from central Ohio? Columbus public and dublin city recently put a couple CE200's up for sale.. this one doesnt look like a Columbus unit.. (hopefully not) as I know the 5 they put on 422 sales and craigslist had engine issues previously..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
welcome Fellow Buckeye!!

Nice bus.. like ECCB says, take care of the engine.. 2008 CE200 I think is a Maxxforce 7.. it could be a left over VT365 (better than the MF7)..

did you get that from central Ohio? Columbus public and dublin city recently put a couple CE200's up for sale.. this one doesnt look like a Columbus unit.. (hopefully not) as I know the 5 they put on 422 sales and craigslist had engine issues previously..
Ce200's only came with the 6.0.
Get to bulletproofing it NOW!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #5

Thank you for all the advice, I read up a little on the shortcomings of the 6.0 and I agree I should update some things. What do you guys recommend doing first for bulletproofing? Luckily I don't need to drive it anywhere for a while.

I got this one from 422 in littlerock PA. It has STA on the side, I'll upload a pic after memorial day. It has a fair bit of rust on the underside so I'm in the process of researching how to treat that.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
they(CE200) actually came with VT365 and with MaxxForce 7's..

2008 was the pivotal year.. if it doesnt say Maxxforce on the side of the bus pr the engine then its a VT365..

Bulletproofing on the Navistar VT365 side is simply oil cooler and EGR cooler.. upgrade to god solid aftermarket. coolant and oil maintenance are paramount.. and never ever ever Get one Hot... so make sure radiator, heater loops, fan clutch , temp gauge are all in good working order..

I personally have no issues with the VT365.. esp the later ones.. other than the aofrementioned items.. high mileage or high hours units often need injectors at some point.. did you read the computer to get the mileage or just read the dash? (IH dashboards are notirious for being inaccurate)..

the Maxxforce 7 (6.4) I have a lot of issues with

Swapping the oil cooler and EGR cooler are jobs that require a decdent amount of mechanical skill but asre doable at home.. the oil cooler on a 6.0 is buried a bit so it involves a bit of teardown to get at it, the reasons for it are all over the net.. from water / oil mix to just plain over-heated oil..

its well worth it to invest in a monitoring device like a BlueFire (plugs into your engine computer and displays data on an android or iPAD tablet / phone.. ).. thus you can see if the engine water or oil are getting hot.. a well over-heated VT365 can actually MELT! internally.. there are plastic pieces in the oil system.. if they melt (oil temp of around 260) then you throw the engine in the garbage can.. (cannot be rebuilt from a meltdown)..

another thing too about the 6.0 IH. they dont rev as high as the fords, and they also dont run as much EGR as the fords.. you likely dont need to put head studs on a school bus VT365 like you do the ford.. while head gaskets can break on them, its not nearly as much as issue.. a couple friends of mine just retired their VT365 box trucks after over 400k was racked up on each one.. neither ever had the heads off.. each had a set of injectors installed and oil cooler / EGR cooler upgrades were done fairly early on in thos truck's lives..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #7

It is a VT365, I will do those two upgrades when I get the chance, thank you!
Old 05-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #8

I figured I should upload a pic of the engine
Attached Thumbnails
STAPA082352RO.jpeg