Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: 2003 International CE; 2 A/C Units; PS; Air Brakes
Engine: T444E 7.3L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 72 Passengers
New bus owner

I bought my bus today online - I have a 2003 International CE 72 Passenger School Bus (Texas bus - very little rust); 108,511 Miles T444 7.3L Diesel Engine; Allison Trans; 2 A/C Units; automatic and air brakes. I'm thrilled, but still in a little bit of shock. So - here's my question - I have to pick it up next week and I've NEVER driven a bus. Any tips? I plan to take the long way home and avoid major cities (like Dallas) but I'm way more nervous than I thought I'd be.

CCurran88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Just wipe that grin off your face and take the keys. Drive out of there like it's not your bus.

If you've ever driven equipment, tractors or large trucks, you'll adapt to a bus quickly. I still nip a curb now and then on a 90* corner. 15 minutes for you to warm up to driving and you'll be ok. It's good to practice you backing skills in a large parking lot first, but you'll be going forward mostly anyway right?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I was freaking out about it, but think I'm calmed down. I'm reading more and more where people have their first time behind the wheel when they pick their bus up and drive it home. We are traveling from north of Dallas down to Waco, and I plan to take sort of the long way home through Kaufman rather than attempt Dallas traffic the first time round. And about half-way home, I'll switch out with my husband so he can try it. He inadvertently named my bus this morning when I was whining about something and he said "suck it up, Buttercup" and I laughed and thought "That's a great name for my bus." I love the Princess Bride for one, so it is perfect. I'm really excited now. I won't be able to work on it until after the April 18th tax deadline (Tax accountant here and I'll be working the full weekend for the next 3 weeks), but I HAVE A BUS!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's a good feeling. There's always a period of time when you wish you could back peddle out of it too.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Congrats! Good luck on your voyage home with the new bus!
jonnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
18th? WooHoo I got 3 mote days to procrastinate!

Congrats on you bus and welcome to the forum.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

You can than the folks in D.C. for your longer procrastination time. There is a D.C. (only) holiday on April 15th, and if that falls on a weekend, it moves to the following Monday, giving you that extra day. Even though it isn't a FEDERAL holiday, the IRS gets to take it off...That is okay with me, as it gives me more time to take care of those clients who procrastinate....

By the way folks - the ones interested in Solar Conversions, and those who take out loans for their conversions - check with your tax advisor - Solar Equipment has a great tax credit (30% of the cost as a TAX CREDIT, no limit for 2016-2019 purchases) and RV interest is deductible on schedule A as a 2nd home...if your bus isn't being used, you might not be able to take that interest (construction period interest), but talk to your friendly neighborhood CPA! Sorry - credit card interest doesn't count, even if it is for your RV/Bus.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCurran88 View Post
You can than the folks in D.C. for your longer procrastination time. There is a D.C. (only) holiday on April 15th, and if that falls on a weekend, it moves to the following Monday, giving you that extra day. Even though it isn't a FEDERAL holiday, the IRS gets to take it off...That is okay with me, as it gives me more time to take care of those clients who procrastinate....
I'm not aware of this holiday, and I've been a gov contractor for more than 30 years. I do know that the Post Offices typically stay open until midnight; at least designated ones in larger metro areas.

Aaaah. Google is wonderful. There is a Washington DC - only holiday called Emancipation Day celebrating Lincoln's signing of the Emancipation Declaration. It's 4/16, moved to 4/17 this year. So Tax Day is 4/18. That happens more often than I would have thought. If E.D. is a Saturday, it's moved to Friday so T.D. gets to be Monday that year. Learn something new every day.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Congratulations, sounds like a nice bus to me. good luck on the trip home with her and agree that maybe you should avoid metro areas and thruways.
At least you aren't going down as far as Houston so you'll be fine.
Check all your fluids before you go and watch the guages as you drive. You'll get a nice sense of how she should run I think.
Go over it mechanically and electrically before you decide to do a conversion.
It probably will have a few bugs to work out, but they all do.
Oh yeah, and never let your hubby drive it, lmao!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

We have the same holiday in Texas, only celebrated in June and called Juneteenth. I don't' get that day off either.