Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #1

Smile New Conversion in Northern IL

So we bought a bus My husband and I are beginning the conversion a of a 2000 Blue Bird International into a vacation home on wheels. We plan on traveling with our two kids and two dogs (great dane and boxer). Our bus has a DT466 engine, Allison 2000 tranny, 125K miles and is 39ft long. I plan to document our conversion and hope to share it. I want to thank you all for the information I received here prior to our purchase and look forward to everything I still have to learn from you. Drive Safe!

homestead_to_highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Skoolie

Sounds like an awesome ride it's everything I like, Bluebird, International, DT466, and 39 ft. If I was buying that's almost exactly what I would be looking for glad to have you here can't wait for the pictures.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Cornfields Unite !

Welcome ! My sincere condolences on your choice of States to live in. I also suffer the fun that comes with living here (SW of Chicago).

Add your bus info to your profile. We feed on photos around here....

I can help walk you trough the DMV gauntlet when your are ready to be RV.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Welcome ! My sincere condolences on your choice of States to live in. I also suffer the fun that comes with living here (SW of Chicago).

Add your bus info to your profile. We feed on photos around here....

I can help walk you trough the DMV gauntlet when your are ready to be RV.
Thanks! We hope to escape this state in a few years. What needs to be done so I can title it RV?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Traveling

Here is official checklist

Some people just go down and register it as RV without doing any of it and they push it through, sometimes they kicked-back for inspection, sometimes goes through. That is the beauty of our incompetent State workers.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
I registered mine in the woodstock dmv with zero issue. I just said it was a motorhome. Boom walked out same day with rv plates. Title came back 4 weeks later no issue. Good luck to you. I'm just over the border in lake geneva if you guys need some help or pointers. Or maybe just want to get the buses together so they can play,ha.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestrr View Post
I registered mine in the woodstock dmv with zero issue. I just said it was a motorhome. Boom walked out same day with rv plates. Title came back 4 weeks later no issue. Good luck to you. I'm just over the border in lake geneva if you guys need some help or pointers. Or maybe just want to get the buses together so they can play,ha.
I'm actually in Woodstock. Hopefully it is that easy. I'll let you know. It's nice to know someone is close to help with local resources. Thank you!!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
If you want to do spray foam, i have a guy in hebron who did my bus for 750 or 800 i can't remember anymore. It was very cheap. For me it was the best option for insulation.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestrr View Post
If you want to do spray foam, i have a guy in hebron who did my bus for 750 or 800 i can't remember anymore. It was very cheap. For me it was the best option for insulation.
x2 ^^^^^

Good price when you are ready and will pay for itself in utilities and comfort.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #10

I just registered two busses in the dekalb area at the rockford cdl. Expected to be asked questions, so had gotten up earlier that day to put stuff in the bus to count.

The guy at the register did not even blink or ask questions, charged me my 151 each and out the door I went.
Spydyrsbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydyrsbyte View Post
I just registered two busses in the dekalb area at the rockford cdl. Expected to be asked questions, so had gotten up earlier that day to put stuff in the bus to count.

The guy at the register did not even blink or ask questions, charged me my 151 each and out the door I went.
Did the guy retitle it as an rv or does it still say "school bus" on the title? With my first bus I was able to get rv plates but my title, even though it was in my name, still said school bus. Those two words have prevented me from finding insurance for it. Seems no one wants to insure a school bus unless you're an organization of some sort. Just an fyi.

Id recommend taking it to the secretary of state police when it's done. They'll inspect it and retitle it as a proper rv. Then insuring it will be cake

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
jmcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcustom View Post
Did the guy retitle it as an rv or does it still say "school bus" on the title?
I call that DMV Lotto ! Anyone can play.

I registered a semi tractor once and it came back titled as a trailer.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I call that DMV Lotto ! Anyone can play.

I registered a semi tractor once and it came back titled as a trailer.
That just shows how much intelligence is at the dmv[emoji1]

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
jmcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #14

Update

I went to the Woodstock DMV to register my skoolie. They tried to change my title from Motorhome to bus because "that's what came up when we scanned it" The title clearly says motorhome. They said it must be on a bus chassis so they wouldn't change it. I took my paperwork and went across the street to the Currency Exchange. Five minutes later I walked out with my temporary plates!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead_to_highway View Post
I went to the Woodstock DMV to register my skoolie. They tried to change my title from Motorhome to bus because "that's what came up when we scanned it" The title clearly says motorhome. They said it must be on a bus chassis so they wouldn't change it. I took my paperwork and went across the street to the Currency Exchange. Five minutes later I walked out with my temporary plates!
Sweet ! Be forewarned, SOS kicks some of those back. Supposed to be inspected/ signed-off by SOS Police.

stuff