Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 06:00 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbreau View Post
Thanks for the info, my concerns are having insurance from purchase to home (5 hour drive). Did you wait to insure until you were built out? I just didn’t know with Vermont reg if it had to be in place (proof of insurance) like in LA?

I had Progressive Commercial Ins for the drive home. And I had my plates and registration from Vermont. If you send your paperwork to Vermont, you can expect it back within 2 weeks....normally. Progressive was expensive. We dropped it and went without for a while. Bummer I couldn’t drive the bus for a while. Like I said, I should have done a quickie build out to satisfy insurance requirements.

Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the info, my concerns are having insurance from purchase to home (5 hour drive). Did you wait to insure until you were built out? I just didn’t know with Vermont reg if it had to be in place (proof of insurance) like in LA?

No, I don’t remember VT needing proof of insurance.

[emoji3522]
Old 09-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouysou View Post
Are you referring to Suz”ahn” use to be for agent Warren Blum? That’s who we will be using if so. Waiting for a return phone call from her.

Erica at Goegagen In’s. wrote our policy, but I’m sure they all can do it for you.

Peace
Old 09-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE300 6 window shortie
Engine: DT466
I understand now. Progressive commercial for private use to get home. Get VT tags. Cancel progressive. Rip out sets and stage needed items. Get RV insurance thru another company �� Thank you!!! I hope this bus works out I’ve been shopping for awhile for my 6 window!
drtbreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cummings 8.3
Rated Cap: 44
Quote:
For Louisiana folks, how hard was it to get registered/insurance.....having trouble finding info on Louisiana’s website.
I just watched a video on youtube by "Parish Skoolie" that showed his process to get his Skoolie converted to an RV. I don't know if he just lucked out or Louisiana is that easy. Either way I hope it goes that smooth for us. Check it out.

Bouysou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE300 6 window shortie
Engine: DT466
Thanks, I’ll check it out. Called Progressive and they won’t issue ANY insurance for buses now. Now I’m struggling to find a policy to get it home.
drtbreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:10 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cummings 8.3
Rated Cap: 44
Quote:
Thanks, I’ll check it out. Called Progressive and they won’t issue ANY insurance for buses now. Now I’m struggling to find a policy to get it home.
Yeah i tried USAA and they didn't but they connected me with their "partner" Progessive. Only for progressive to tell me they didn't as well. I got a call into a state farm agent. I'll let you know.
Bouysou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Yeah i tried USAA and they didn't but they connected me with their "partner" Progessive. Only for progressive to tell me they didn't as well. I got a call into a state farm agent. I'll let you know.

I have USAA. I asked them (before the purchase) if the vehicle (I described it to them) was covered under my current policy. They said "all newly purchased vehicles" are temporarily covered under the policy for a period of 30 days from date of purchase.

Call USaA back. Ask them how long they cover "new to you" vehicles. Tell them you want to be sure you are covered for the drive home
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
I just watched a video on youtube by "Parish Skoolie" that showed his process to get his Skoolie converted to an RV. I don't know if he just lucked out or Louisiana is that easy. Either way I hope it goes that smooth for us. Check it out.

Interesting vid on how Louisiana registers busses as motorhomes.
The young fella doing the video seriously threw Trooper Troy "Under the bus" by saying he knew the bus wasn't a motorhome, but he classified it as such anyway!!!
Hope the vid doesn't catch the attention of his superiors...:-0
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote