Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner HDX 31ft
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 25, Wheel Chair Bus
Question New From North Dakota - How many Skoolie's out there?

Greetings All,

My wife and I just bought our first bus, a 31 ft Rear Engine Thomas with a Cat C7 and an Allison 3000. It's being driven to us from Las Vegas all the way up to North Dakota. We don't plan to be full timers but we're looking forward to escaping the North Dakota winters

I'm wondering if any one knows how many Skoolies are out there? How many are actively being built? How many full timers or part timers?

The bus will arrive next week and I can't wait to jump in, probably get frustrated at times, spend more money then I intended and bring my family along for an adventure of a life time.

McStash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStash View Post
My wife and I just bought our first bus, a 31 ft Rear Engine Thomas with a Cat C7 and an Allison 3000. It's being driven to us from Las Vegas all the way up to North Dakota. .
Greetings and welcome...and good for you. Did you, by chance, get one of the buses from Las Vegas Bus Sales? If so, I've likely seen your new bus.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Welcome neighbor to the North. I can't believe you would want to escape North Dakota winters for somewhere warmer.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:36 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, that's it. I bought sight unseen, but they sent me a video and everything seemed to check out. There driving it to us and will be fixing anything that breaks during the 1,500 mile trip. We figured it should be a fairly good test.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:43 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

We got lucky this year it's actually been nice. I finally put away enough fire wood for the winter and it looks like I'll have some for next year,.... darn
Old 01-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStash View Post
Yes, that's it. I bought sight unseen, but they sent me a video and everything seemed to check out. There driving it to us and will be fixing anything that breaks during the 1,500 mile trip. We figured it should be a fairly good test.
That's a good call and they're nice buses, with good tires and batteries. And I like the staff there - they've got a great shop and a very knowledgable diesel mechanic. I have no doubt the 1,500 mile trip will be a non-event...and a good confidence builder for you, knowing that your build platform is sound.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
That's a good call and they're nice buses, with good tires and batteries. And I like the staff there - they've got a great shop and a very knowledgable diesel mechanic. I have no doubt the 1,500 mile trip will be a non-event...and a good confidence builder for you, knowing that your build platform is sound.
Thanks, that goes a long way of putting my mind at ease.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Welcome aboard. It sounds like you will receive a road ready bus. That is very important. Just a word of advise, keep it running and drive it often. A lot of problems crop up when left parked. Don't ask me how I know. Make a few changes and make a run. You will also think of things you may not have thought of otherwise. Do you have children? Ages? This is a good time to teach them some building skills. Keep it a family thing and they will be there for you later to change your diapers.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:09 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Having it delivered does put any problem on them, and is a good sign they have some confidence in the bus.

As far as how many skoolies out there? I know there is a gathering in Arizona next week and will likely have over a hundred buses, and a few weeks later one in Florida that is filled up with over a hundred buses. So that makes at least 200+ road ready ones just at the meet ups.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:26 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
We have the same bus except mine is a little older w CAT 3126.
I got mine to escape New Orleans summers. [emoji16][emoji16]. Look for me next August! Coupla Covid shots and and some finishing touches on the bus and I’m outa here!!!!!

If your bus is a former Clark County bus, it was well cared for.
That’s a school district with plenty of money. [emoji620] [emoji456]

Peace and good luck!
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:10 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
We have the same bus except mine is a little older w CAT 3126.
I got mine to escape New Orleans summers. [emoji16][emoji16]. Look for me next August! Coupla Covid shots and and some finishing touches on the bus and I’m outa here!!!!!

If your bus is a former Clark County bus, it was well cared for.
That’s a school district with plenty of money. [emoji620] [emoji456]

Peace and good luck!
Hi Meathead, I grew up in Pineville LA. I try not to visit my folks in July or August, I ended up going from one extreme to the other. Yes, my bus is from Clark County. The bus sales guy says they have a great maintenance department but I'm always wherry of someone selling me something. Good to know that it's not all hype.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Welcome aboard. It sounds like you will receive a road ready bus. That is very important. Just a word of advise, keep it running and drive it often. A lot of problems crop up when left parked. Don't ask me how I know. Make a few changes and make a run. You will also think of things you may not have thought of otherwise. Do you have children? Ages? This is a good time to teach them some building skills. Keep it a family thing and they will be there for you later to change your diapers.
Thanks s2mikon, that sounds like the voice of experience. My daughter is seven and we figured by the time it's finished (shooting for 1 year) we'll still have plenty of time and opportunities to explore. We figured there would be time to grow businesses later but we only have one daughter and she'll only be a kid once so why not have some fun. We'd like to get it insulated and interior coverings done before mid summer so we can at least go camping out of it.

Tags
community, how big, how many, north dakota