Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

new guy here 1980 Mighty Mite

I joined here over a year ago, haven't read much here. a few years ago i bought Ben Roslanders book Select and Convert Your Bus into a Motorhome on a Shoestring.

Well monday night i bought a 1980 Thomas Mighty Mite. Its already been converted but it needs to be redone. alot of stuff just not done right or not what i want, and its filthy. i have alot of work to do.

Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Cool !

What's the plan?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mightymite2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	17293
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome to the madness! --- We all had a few little things to do going in. Some more than others.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Cool !

What's the plan?

Attachment 17293
Well right now, the machine needs alot of work. currently all the original seats are out, and long gone. there are 2 unknown origin seats in it, one behind the driver and 1 directly accross from it. those are going bye bye. currently it has an old domentic rv ridge freezer taking up a huge space in the middle on the drivers side. opposite is a tiny sink. in the rar is some folding bench bed combo, a water heater, and the ac panel. above the rear door is a 5-7.5 k btu AC unit. the flooring is some light wood laminate that i hate. has welld done over head cabinets on the sides.

the Plan. toss all the previous owners **** out or sell on craigslist/FB. strip out the two extra seats and the bed/seat in the rear, pull the sink and cabinet out, then the fridge. pull the ugly laminate. remove the 5 windows in the rear and steel em up, fix the 3 or 5 rust holes in the body none of which are large, build shower toilet combo behind drivers seat, turn the spot were the fridge was into a closet, and redo the sink cabinet completely, putting in a larger sink, longer counter top, an under counter AC only mini fridge, pull the ac water heater. completely replumb and go with a tankless propane, rewire the whole thing virtually eliminating the DC system in the bus, and rewiring the bus dc system so all the lights actually work, fix the oil leaks, and the exhuast leak. paint probably green or blue and put a rack/platform on the top that runs the full lenght of the bus
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Already got a list/plan.cool.
I personally would add a ladder to get to the roof rack to the list and start get the mechanical stuff squared away before I started the conversion, that way if you get into or find more motor,tranny problems then you don't have to much wrapped up in the conversion.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote