Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

New Guy in S. Florida

Hello folks. I've been lurking on this site a while and am getting closer to biting the bullet and getting a bus. I've been doing a lot of research and half the time I'm encouraged and excited to get started and the other half I feel like this is going to be an enormous task. I'm not crafty nor handy. It seems like most of the skoolies talked about here are done by people who know a lot about building things. I'm a disabled vet and have a terrible back so some tasks can be a little cumbersome for me. I can walk and stuff but being on the floor or on my feet for long periods can be painful. I would love to find a conversion company that does the major stuff so I can do the cosmetics and details or be instructed on how to do things. My ultimate intent is to full time it for a couple of years going around painting landscapes and doing photography while reconnecting with old friends. I know that is a huge leap but I do have the capacity for learning stuff having been an Air Force Pilot. Honestly I oscillate between getting a Super Class C (because I believe they are safer than Class A's) and adding solar and a compost toilet or having a customized bus capable of boondocking for a respectable amount of time. My companion for this adventure is my 95 pound dog Kenni. So I also will be doing this solo plus dog and using my Jeep as my toad. I would love to hear from people especially if they've full timed solo. I would appreciate some advice but prefer not to hear from those who think I shouldn't do it. Even if a task seems impossible there may be a way to make it happen. I was going to start this a year ago but listened to people who could not imagine living on the road. I've waited long enough and have a bucket list and a few promises to take care of. So any advice for a new guy?

Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I will say that doing a "good" conversion is a long, hard job. With that said, I haven't seen a "professional" conversion that seemed worth the price. My back isn't completely bad but I only get so much done in a day before I can't stand up straight any more. If you're just physically unable to do it you might find a younger assistant you can pay to hep do things with your guidance to meet your actual needs. From what I've seen so far, a professional builder is going to make you a typical motorcoach that goes from hookup to hookup and is nearly useless between them.

I know my build isn't the greatest (working on my third bus now which will be better than #2, which was better than #1) but I had basically 0 experience building things like this, but I know where my weak points are, I know where my strong points are, and I wouldn't hesitate to leave for a month long trip to the middle of nowhere right now.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Thanks for saying that. I know there's a lot of how-to guides online etc but getting some help isn't a bad idea. I also believe that knowing how something is put together is always better than not.
I do have one question maybe you can answer. Is it correct you cannot tow a vehicle with a pusher?
Really appreciate your response. C.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
You can tow with a pusher, the hitch setup can be a bit more involved. I don't really plan to tow with mine but I will be installing a hitch and motorcycle carrier.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Depends on where you live. Id be willing to help you out. If you got alittle extra room for me to park and you have the tools. I wont charge you anything.
C-ptsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I stay in florida aswell. (Lake county) id help ya from start to finish or until you decide you dont need anymore help. Id have to bring a friend who will be my driver who will also watch my service dog. We'll sleep in the van. I do have a generator so we'll be all set. (I cant drive, thats too dangerous for me lol)
C-ptsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #7

That's really nice of you thanks. I may take you up on it
Old 12-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #8

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the offer. I'll keep you in mind when I break the seal on it