Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New guy, just bought a bus

Long time lurker and first time posting. Finally got a bis and am currently at the start of the conversion. Just thought I'd actually introduce myself Finally. My name is Terry. I'm out of Cincinnati OH. I have a 2004 bluebird all american 90 passenger with a c7 and I believe a Mercedes trans.... I have yet to spend much time under the bus but I love to read manuals so there's that. Done some mechanical maintenance and such. Demo is about half done. Floor is started. About to attempt a 6" roof raise next just below the windows and above the front glass and rear door. If the plan works should numerically work out perfect (fingers crossed). And she came from knoxville so the underneath is damn near perfect.. Thanks for stopping in.
Attached Thumbnails
20210418_162145.jpg   20210404_101548.jpg   20210427_174145.jpg  

Downtownterrybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
99% chance that is an Allison transmission you will have, most likely either a 2000 or a 3060.

To my knowledge Mercedes never made a transmission for the US bus market (or anywhere else for that matter).
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
How are you going to do the raise from the bottom of the windows. You'll need overlap for the extensions, how will they be welded below the windows?
Old 05-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Who makes the MD model trans?
Old 05-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
How are you going to do the raise from the bottom of the windows. You'll need overlap for the extensions, how will they be welded below the windows?
Well I believe I'll make a single cut through the hat at somewhere around 4" lower than the windows. Grind the rivets off holding the section of skin between the top two rub rails, remove and simply replace with a +6 section ill have pre sheared at work. May not need to overlap to keep the rails better positioned and simply bead weld the skin seam every foot or so. The hat will be filled in with 1x1.5 tube sections around 20" long to give a nice overlap each way and bead weld those to the inside of the hat 1inch every other inch. Now for the front and rear, haven't torn it open to see quite yet. Itll be a little challenging I have no doubt but everything I need to do it I would like to have pre cut and ready to damn near install at the time of doing it. I'll have a friend take the pics as we go. He is thinking 1 day after the first cut and I'm betting on minimum of 2 lol. At least this is the quick explanation of it anyhow.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Why only 6" on the raise? That's an unusually short distance to go up.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Why only 6" on the raise? That's an unusually short distance to go up.
I just want head room for me and say a touch taller. I'm 6'1. I'll have 1.5" on the floor and my head just brushes the metal ceiling. Id still like to fit under the less traveled bridges and such since there's a lot of those around me it seems. 12 footers and I've seen shorter. Plus it all equals out pretty good with 60x120 sheets of galvanized and 4 pieces of 24' x 1 x 1.5 tube
Old 05-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Plus it will make the windows work out perfect for counter height also.