Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #1

New guy looking for advice

New guy here- Never had a bus but my interest was peaked when I stumbled across a short bus that maybe available. It is an 1980 International that appears to have been professionally converted long ago. It has full shower, toilet, 2 sinks, oven and refer. Whether or not any of them work now has yet to be determined. I see numerous tanks underneath that also appear to have been well done-Also if it runs is unknown at this point. I have found zero info on this year so my first question is could it have been done by a company that I maybe able to find and learn more about the conversion or was it most likely done by some independent shop as a one off?
How would I determine what would be a fair price to pay for it? I am not looking for a life long project and it may be just a crazy thought..........
Attached Thumbnails
bus.jpg   thumbnail (1).jpg   thumbnail.jpg  

Isellhomestofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:05 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
one off build

not even done by a shop... an individual

so, around here just the value in terms of scrap metal... if you could drive it there... bout $800-$1000 I would consider that bottom dollar if it is drivable.

It is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Start low and go up as far as you feel it is worth.... The more stuff they can show that works and not leak becomes a plus.

start, go, steer, and stop.

basics like buying a used car but with a bit more to do.

$800 and drives......

Keep in mind, some of the most expensive stuff in the world is the stuff you get for free.

william 785 207 7600 if you wanna talk busses
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: thomas freightliner dog nose
Engine: cat c-7
not professionally done looks' like they swapped the stuff right out of a camper and put it in there. considering the age and if some stuff works the most i would pay is $1000.00 and that's if it starts and moves.
richie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Agree. Looks my slide in camper from the same era. If you find any harvest gold or avocado green (the front of that stove looks like its avocado green) its a for sure swap out of an old camper or small trailer.

That fridge (unless it's an ice box) is most likely an ammonia system and needing replacement even if it works just do to it's age an probability of failure.

On he plus side, if the engine is in good condition a 1980 rig will probably have ZERO computer systems for the engine and other functions of the chassis.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote