Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

New in VA

Hello All
Still haven't bought but looking to get something for a summer road trip. I am in Virginia Beach, VA. I am looking to get into a short bus 7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel. Thinking wheel chair lift for possible future toy hauler too. More than open to any advice and help. Thanks in advance.

newdude442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome, to the guy that will forever be the newdude on this site.

How huge of a bus will you be looking for?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #3

Haha. Believe me every question I post will probably be rookie, so I set the expectation low from the beginning. Right now I am looking for a short bus. Something around the size of a five window, if that is even how you reference them (see newdude ) I like the idea of the wheel chair lift as somewhat of a party deck, as well as I saw a guy who had his set up as a platform for an outside shower so he wasn't standing in mud.Looking to go from Va Beach to Glacier National Park this summer with my daughters. Noting too crazy right now, just more of a fun bus. Thanks for the reply!
newdude442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That sounds like a nice trip for all of you.

Are buses rusty there were you live? If your coast is anything like the coast here in Oregon, things tend to rust and corrode.

People on this site will try to help you find what you're looking for, and it helps to have as many extra eyes as possible. The next question is how far would you be willing to travel to pick up the right bus? More often the case is how far you'd go to get a solid rust free bus.

Yes we often refer to buses by the number of windows, and a 5 window shorty is a popular choice. So you're talking about a conventional bus (dognose)? Those drive nice, but you're never going to complain about having to much space. Especially not with several daughters in there.

I won't try to talk you into a medium size bus, but they do have very similar fuel mileage compared to the shortys.