Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 18
New Member and excited new bus owner

I would like to start by saying thanks to all of you who make Skoolie.net an awesome place to learn all about Skoolie life. I have had a crush on the idea of living in a school bus since I was a wee thing but didn't even know that such a thing was called a 'skoolie' until a year or so ago.

I have been quietly reading and researching for months now and I am happy to say that next weekend I am driving my first bus home, a 99 Bluebird TC1000. I am super excited and also nervous about the learning curve that will come with bus ownership. I love to design, build, weld and do anything that involves getting dirty and working with my hands. I come from a long line of traveling construction workers who never stayed in one place too long and my Mom was a cross county semi truck driver for many years, lol.

My next big hurdles will be getting the bus properly titled, insured and prepped for a cross county trip late this summer. I plan to paint the bus and do a very basic conversion to get proper insurance before the trip. Later this fall, I plan to gut the bus and do the full proper conversion over the winter.

I would love to hear from anyone with friendly advice, especially fellow TC1000 owners or other Ga skoolie fanatics. Also, anyone with connections on getting insurance in Ga would be amazing.

Thanks again for making Skoolie.net a wonderful resource.

Jennerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Where in Ga. are you? Commercial for personal use policy is easy to get while you're converting it. State Farm will insure it once 4 of the 6 requirements for an RV are met.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #3

Chassis: TC1000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 18
Hiya, I'm in Atlanta but my family is from Fairmount Ga. I plan on reaching out to State Farm. Do you know of a particular agent that is familiar with Skoolie's? I made a few phone calls but haven't had much luck yet.
Jennerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Welcome fellow TC1000 owner.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerator View Post
Hiya, I'm in Atlanta but my family is from Fairmount Ga. I plan on reaching out to State Farm. Do you know of a particular agent that is familiar with Skoolie's? I made a few phone calls but haven't had much luck yet.

Where in Atl.? State Farm will have nothing to do with insuring it until after the conversion has been done. I have to get a "Commercial for Private use" policy for the build out.
I can hook you up with either agent when you need.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote