Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrublife View Post
Indianapolis.
I’m down in Evansville, and we are 14 months into our build. You are welcome to swing by if you are in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
8A310E2F-3E61-4B63-8D89-2F29F197901C.jpg  

CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome to the fun!!!!

evansville has this cool coffee shop downtown near the double tree... river city I think it was called. havent been there since before covid.. man was it good.. coffeeguy has prob been there

ill be in indy this weekend.. but my busses are largely unconverted.. ill prob be driving my 43 year old International since its fun to drive..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
welcome to the fun!!!!

evansville has this cool coffee shop downtown near the double tree... river city I think it was called. havent been there since before covid.. man was it good.. coffeeguy has prob been there

ill be in indy this weekend.. but my busses are largely unconverted.. ill prob be driving my 43 year old International since its fun to drive..
We have a few really great coffee shops in town, some I roast for and some who I just get to enjoy some variety with. River City Mercantile is run by a pretty cool and creative couple. In addition to the coffee and gift shop, Clint has a tattoo studio and museum on the second floor and Heather’s design studio is based there as well.

I can recommend a couple other shops next time you are in town, I’ll even buy the beverage!
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
You said you weren’t ready to do the conversion. Do you need a rolling home now? Why not get a pickup and take the trailer for now? You can always gut it later.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
You said you weren’t ready to do the conversion. Do you need a rolling home now? Why not get a pickup and take the trailer for now? You can always gut it later.

these days getting a pickup is the issue.. my lease is up on my Gladiator and these dealers up here are wanting OVER sticker for new trucks. and guys with used trucks are thinking the rust buckets of the north are somehow as good as new ones (at least by what they ask)..

CoffeeGuy - sounds like a winner! im always up for a bus ride! if the weather is nice an old Superior ride
Old 10-15-2021, 05:49 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrublife View Post
...demons lurking...soft...floor...looks like a cheap...
Bradd,
We delivered RecreationVehicles manufacturer-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows.
Early on, we noticed factory RecreationVehicle designers delight in putting holes in the roof.
Why?
I honestly truly believe it has something to do with 'planned obsolescence', slowly ruining your new investment, forcing you to re-invest in a new version of the same...
...with identical problems as the first rig.
For three decades, I was a traveling Physical Therapist, short-term contracts up-n-down the east coast of the Pacific.
I lived in a variety of factory RecreationVehicles.
My conclusion:
* they are barely adequate for a casual weekend jaunt a couple-three times a year.
Based on your interest in converting a bus, it looks like you suspect this.
A soft floor is one confirmation.
Standing on your soft floor -- Safety First!: hold onto something solid in case you blow through! (kidding... in a factory RecreationVehicle, nothing qualifies as 'solid') -- and look up.
You may discover the source of your soft floor.
I bet it could be HOLES! IN! THE! ROOF! [emphasis added].
For my use, I need a reliable rig.
Accordingly, I built.
In your case, perhaps some of the components from your factory RecreationVehicle can be recycled into a conversion:
* [draws blank, shrugs]
If I was me, I would donate your driveway-sitter to a charity, such as Saint Vincent de Paul.
I would do it quickly.
If I was me, I would get the dang thing out of my energy so I could focus on something productive.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Used Bus prices are not skyrocketing like cars and RVs. There's still way more supply of used decommissioned school buses than demand.

Just keep in mind skoolie build is like 1 year of pretty hard work for the solo person or couple
rgjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #28
Bus Geek

im startingto see bus proces come down.. at least some of the less popular auction sites.. some fialry nice busses went un-sold recently oin a kentucky auction. .. more and more people here and esp on facebook are dumping their skoolie projects.. often with gutted or little-more-than gutted busses.. some of those prices are still wishful thinking.. but it shows the market is shifting a bit..
Old 10-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjarrell View Post
...skoolie build is like 1 year of pretty hard work for the solo person or couple
a -- Or... toss in some car-camping gear, go have fun.
My System has a benefit beyond the alleged yet highly-touted "fun" aspect.
While enjoying your new rig, MySystem© offers valuable perspectives about needs versus wants:
* "I 'need!' a 14,762cf side-by-side fridge-freezer with room for decades of left-overs, and a cube-squirter with filters to filter the filters."
* "I 'need!' king-n-queen bathroom sinks two paces from my kitchen sink."
* "I 'need!' three bedrooms and two baths... and the wine-chiller option on the electronic-fireplace entertainment-center as the absolute essential minimum 'up-grades'."
* "I 'need!' two-tone lime-green shag carpet, a triad of matching disco-chandeliers, pink-marble counters, and a reasonably-sized espresso machine... because I am the very picture of moderation."
My suggestion:
* go for it
Indulge your indulgences.
And, by all means...
Let us know how that romantic moon-roof over the bed works out next time you park near a sprinkler.
b -- A year of 'pretty hard work for a couple' tends to illustrate the strengths of the relationship.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote