Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #1

New member from mississippi

Hey guys and gals. New member from Mississippi. Just picked up a 98 international 3800 T444E and I believe an AT545 (Which I have quickly learned isn't the most popular) I ride ATV's and UTV's around Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi. My plan is to convert this into an RV and pull a 20ft trailer with a utv or 2. Looking forward to sharing the build with you. Thanks for the add!!

Gingerninjarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome

There are a number of us that are using the back 6 or 8 feet of the bus for a garage for bikes. Quads won't fit through the chair lift though. You can make a hydraulic back wall that is also a ramp.

Get fancy. Ok, a trailer with bikes on it. Yeah these pull very well. They're slow to begin with so a trailer just doesn't make them that much slower.

We're going to need photos. Sounds like a good bus. Are you doing a full build?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Welcome to the site!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #4

I have considered moving the back wall forward and using the back for a hauler but honestly I want more room. Full size EVERYTHING!! Hahaha.. a full size bed, shower, and toilet can turn a three day weekend full of mud, makers mark and bratwurst into a holiday inn. Haha! I'll probably regret that decision somewhere along I20 when I'm rolling 60ft long at 50 mph.

But, I like to be prepared.. and the more room for tools, food, clothing, spare parts, bedding, toiletries, and buddies who need a place to crash, the better..

As of now, my plan is full bed and bath in the back, kitchen/bar in the middle and "lounge" up front. Added storage underneath. If in fact i do habe the at545, a trans swap is not in my budget right now, so probably a heavy duty external cooler and filter and a temp gauge for the at545. I'm not so concerned with speed as I am with reliability and longevity.
Gingerninjarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerninjarick View Post
I have considered moving the back wall forward and using the back for a hauler but honestly I want more room. Full size EVERYTHING!! Hahaha.. a full size bed, shower, and toilet can turn a three day weekend full of mud, makers mark and bratwurst into a holiday inn. Haha! I'll probably regret that decision somewhere along I20 when I'm rolling 60ft long at 50 mph.

But, I like to be prepared.. and the more room for tools, food, clothing, spare parts, bedding, toiletries, and buddies who need a place to crash, the better..

As of now, my plan is full bed and bath in the back, kitchen/bar in the middle and "lounge" up front. Added storage underneath. If in fact i do habe the at545, a trans swap is not in my budget right now, so probably a heavy duty external cooler and filter and a temp gauge for the at545. I'm not so concerned with speed as I am with reliability and longevity.

keep your AT545 cool.. **AND** your T-444E!! the 444E can tend to run hot in southern summers at higher RPMs (above 2200 or so).. you will want to add the nice heavy cooler on the trans and make sure the cooling system on your 444E is in order.. fan clutch, coolant, radiator, shroud..

I did do a Trans swap on one of my busses.. not easy on the budget but man is it a different bus now...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote