Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #1

New member from Pennsylvania

Hello!
My name is Michael. I am a furniture maker in Pennsylvania. I stay home with my three kids while my wife works. We are going to buy a bus within the next month or so. I would tomorrow but haven’t found what I want yet.

I am going to go full size and shooting for an 8.3 Cummins or a dt466.

I have been surfing the forms and have the say I love this community.

I have been pushing my woodworking hard on Instagram and TikTok and have gotten a decent amount of followers. Going to record everything I do with the bus for content. Hoping to finally start a YouTube channel.

Anyway wanted to jump on and say hi and thank everyone here for their questions and awesome answers. It’s been helping me a lot with this process.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
C94B731D-5D58-4E68-91B7-D81D55A6B1DC.jpg  

Mikdugal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Howdy, potential neighbor. What part of PA do you hail from? I want to say your pic looks like the Havertown Lowe's, but all Lowe's(es?) look like the Havertown Lowe's.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:36 PM   #3

���� Not havertown that’s the lowes in Reading /Exeter township. I’m assuming you’re in havertown �� I grew up in northeast Philadelphia
Mikdugal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:56 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I had my bus parked in Port Richmond for the first six months I owned it, but I live in Wallingford, which is in Delco between Media and Swarthmore. I just go to the Havertown Lowe's sometimes when my local smaller one doesn't have something.

Good luck with your build, looking forward to seeing your progress posted here.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Glad at lease one of the newbie's is reading all this info. Seems people just want ask a question and have the answer handed to them, avoiding all the extra knowledge they learn and may need down the road. Will be glad to follow your build once you start mikdugal1. Keep that pencil sharp.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:12 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
Hello, well said. i learned a lot from a T-bucket facebook group. Hoping to do the same here. but its a lot more extensive & intimidating? need to figure out how to navigate & post? LOL
Retired Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:55 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Roughneck View Post
Hello, well said. i learned a lot from a T-bucket facebook group. Hoping to do the same here. but its a lot more extensive & intimidating? need to figure out how to navigate & post? LOL
It's not so intimidating once you learn to break things down into proper categories.

Like, the engine is one thing, brakes are another system entirely, and the household/RV wiring are actually usually two separate systems with very little (but important!) crossover.

Once you learn to only focus on the system that you're dealing with, it's generally all gravy.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel Navistar EFI
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
Thanks Albatross for the kind words. i have some Thomas TBB#1 & TBB#2 schematics i can bring to the table. they were hard to come by. still missing a few. hoping to come across them here? Thomas sent me to DTNAConnect ( Daimler ) for them but they said i could not register due to my name didnt match there warranty records.....so im SOL & looking around for them? i also have the full Ford wiring manual for 2005 E 350 cab & stripped chassis if anybody needs a page or so out of it? i will look in the forum or start one in a bit when i get a chance.
have a good day!
Retired Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Hi, you should be able to do a really nice interior with your woodworking skills. What style are you planning? Modern, rustic, nautical etc?

The book "tiny homes on the move"gave me a lot if inspiration. I have been building wooden boats for some time, so a lot of varnished wood was a must for me.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:34 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C1FE 2509
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9L 24V ~ AT545
Rated Cap: Seats 5. Sleeps 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikdugal1 View Post
Hello!
My name is Michael. I am a furniture maker in Pennsylvania. I stay home with my three kids while my wife works. We are going to buy a bus within the next month or so. I would tomorrow but haven’t found what I want yet.

I am going to go full size and shooting for an 8.3 Cummins or a dt466.

I have been surfing the forms and have the say I love this community.

I have been pushing my woodworking hard on Instagram and TikTok and have gotten a decent amount of followers. Going to record everything I do with the bus for content. Hoping to finally start a YouTube channel.

Anyway wanted to jump on and say hi and thank everyone here for their questions and awesome answers. It’s been helping me a lot with this process.

Cheers

Welcome neighbor! Always glad to see more PA residents onboard!
Bluthebus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 01:59 PM   #11

Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 30 passenger (20 adults)
Howdy Neighbor

I’m about 2 hours west of you, in the middle of God’s country (almost no internet, cell, or tv). We have a 2000 Ford E450 7.3L Turbo Diesel 30 passenger shorty that we purchased about 5 years ago. Did the Home Depot/Lowes conversion. Have taken a dozen+ trips up and down the east coast and a northern route cross country. We travel as a group of 7, living and working out of the bus. This past year I have retired and now am Daddy Day Care (still 5 at home) and lawn mower extraordinaire( about 15 acres). Welcome to the neighborhood. The people here are amazing, this is probably only one of a few comments I have made. I always felt a little uncomfortable making comments and suggestions, as I am a self-taught do it yourselfer. But, the knowledge on this site is stellar! The people here are ready willing and able and very happy to help, not sure why I was such a wallflower.
gogolaserbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:03 PM   #12

Howdy Neighbor

I’m about 2 hours west of you, in the middle of God’s country (almost no internet, cell, or tv). We have a 2000 Ford E450 7.3L Turbo Diesel 30 passenger shorty that we purchased about 5 years ago. Did the Home Depot/Lowes conversion. Have taken a dozen+ trips up and down the east coast and a northern route cross country. We travel as a group of 7, living and working out of the bus. This past year I have retired and now am Daddy Day Care (still 5 at home) and lawn mower extraordinaire( about 15 acres). Welcome to the neighborhood. The people here are amazing, this is probably only one of a few comments I have made. I always felt a little uncomfortable making comments and suggestions, as I am a self-taught do it yourselfer. But, the knowledge on this site is stellar! The people here are ready willing and able and very happy to help, not sure why I was such a wallflower.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:04 PM   #13

Wow, if I joined in 2016, it’s been 6 to 7 years since buying our bus!