Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #1

New member, futur Skoolie owner :)

I, as many of you, decided 3 months ago that i wanted to jump head first in this wonderful adventure of rebuilding a school bus into a RV.

And i, as many of you, were hits by so many questions, doubts and overwhelm by questions mark along the road of reflexion.

And i was so happy to discover that Skoolie's world was actually "real" in the sens that there was a big community where people like me could be abpe to discuss with others dreamer like me that once were in my situation.

So hello everyone, my name is Dimitri. I live in Montreal, im 31 yrs old and would like to take my first trip in my incoming Skoolie next summer.

I did not buy the bus yet but looking for maybe a freightliner, bluebird or inter. Actually, don't what i should look for first as the year and general condition, the milage, or the model. Already asking for some tips here ! What should i look for first before i stip my choice on one particular bus !

Also, local ad website don't offer much choices trgarding bus market, i heard auction were a pretty good alternative. Any tips on that ? What should i think of before buying my new futur Skoolie ?!

Again, very happy to be part of this community
Feel like i'm not alone anymore !

Dixme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Tips I can offer are regarding the engine choices. Any diesel prior to 2004 should not have all the emissions on them that cause more harm than good. The International engines are all pretty reliable like the T360, T444, and DT466

The 5.9L Cummins is a great choice and get good MPG's, but some say they feel a little under-powered on hills or with heavy loads.

For smaller bus models with a diesel the Ford 7.3L and Cummins are great choices. Stay away from Ford 6.0L and GM Duramax engines.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

Thank you Johnny ! I will definitly keep in mind the tips you just gave me

Tags
beginner, buying advice, buying our first bus, tips, what to look for