Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New Member in Missouri

Hello everyone, appreciate this forum and want to ask some questions so opened an account. My name is Josh and I live in central Missouri.

Ready to live on the road and wake up everyday in beautiful natural areas. I plan to put a motorcycle in the back and possibly eventually towing a light vehicle. For work I do ecological restoration and usually stay on the property for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I'm hoping the bus will allow me to find work that is more long-term on the property. And allow me to travel all over the freaking place

I'm ready to buy a bus, currently looking online, and have learned so much from reading the threads in this forum. Super appreciate the information sharing that is happening here. There is so much crap available when you're shopping the bottom of the barrel auction deals.

It seems engine and tranny are prolly the most important considerations. I think I've read enough threads to understand what I want there. I can use some advice on recommendations for towing though, which models to avoid, which are best.

My preference is for a midrange bus. Want to take it on gravel roads and farm lanes and feel like midrange is appropriate for maneuverability. I don't need much living space, the back half of the bus will be for tools and motorcycle. I'm thinking a rack on top will be good for tool storage too. However, I've recently gotten turned onto the idea of a 72 passenger flat nose. Distance isn't as long as a dog-nosed 72 passenger, closer to the midrange length I'm assuming. My question is, what are folks experiences and judgements about engine accessibility on a flat-nose?

My preference is to do all the wrenching myself. Is the engine under the cockpit completely manageable for a DIY wrencher?

And, what are you doing with the removed seats? Was thinking of taking them to the Amish or buying little ATV trailers, mounting 2-4 seats/trailer, and selling to these rich folk who own all the land. Tour the countryside in style in an open air safari trailer, lol.

Gonna call on a bus found on CL now. All that is listed is "Cummins 6 cylinder with Allison transmission". Looking forward to learning more on this call. Head is spinning from looking at so many online listings.

Any tips and advice are welcome! Thank you!

nomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
year model,chassis builder and bus body builder will help us help you.
if you can get the VIN number then you/we can look up the vehicle and tell what it came from the factory with.
i have never been to missouri so i dont know if you have flat lands or your expecting hills to climb?
that info will help us help you to find the correct bus for your intended purpose.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote