Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 PM   #1

New member no Skoolie yet

Hey guys my name is Eric from Queens, NY and I've been looking like crazy for the perfect skoolie to do a 9K trip around the US for a month, I wanted a short bus (not so cheap with decent miles) and i just found a 96 E350 7.3 with a rebuilt tranny, engine has 236k its a shuttle bus with the double door handicap side entrance. Plan on doing all the interior work etc, its already cleaned out no seats or anything. my question is the high mileage going to be an issue. He says it runs good. i know for a diesel 236k isnt a crazy amount i just don't want to get stuck on the side of the road. any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

ReadytoStart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
hi eric

Im going to ramble a little. you just cant guess in advance just how long any of it is going to last. The mileage is about the right time for a ford transmission to dump. how long will the rebuild last? no idea. IF it was a well done transmission, 180,000 miles. kind of a guessing game on how long they last. I do not expect 300,000 miles from my diesel engine and I am rebuilding it before the bus ever goes on its first trip.

I wish I could give a concise answer, but I cannot. Do what feels right. You will be happier even when the project seems to go to the crapper. If you start off with bad vibes, i dont think you will ever be pleased with the project.

do what feels right
be nice
and eat more ice cream..... this is what I tell the grand kids anyways..

regards, william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote