Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Personally, I would accept the fact that the community has the right to regulate the use of our land.
That is an assumption that may or may not be correct. Often the community (i.e. the organized mob) has no standing for any of a number of reasons.
As a for instance, the "community" of the Condo HOA that I was in and elected Chairman of had a whole bunch of rules that had been published after the initial HOA documents were filed. My first act was to toss those rules because they had been improperly created, published, and enforced. They had no legal basis and in fact opened the HOA up to civil liability.
That's not at all a unique situation and there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of unenforceable rules, ordinances, etc. across this country.
The organized mob has some control over things but they also must exercise that control in specific ways or their rules/regulations/ordinances are null and void. They must also not run afoul of established legal precedents.
Yes, you should do your due diligence but you must also stand for your rights over the mob.

HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:45 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
john61ct
Personally, I would accept the fact that the community has the right to regulate the use of our land.

It is incumbent on me to do the necessary due diligence research, that I will be allowed to do what I want in that jurisdiction and specific location, before I make the investment in the land.

Becoming a friendly and helpful neighbor, contributing to the larger community, volunteering and constructively participating over time, etc

But things can change, it's not as if there is any contract that a decade later my exact same land use will still be acceptable.

You roll the dice and take your chances.

That is what we chose to do, John. Invest into our county's planning and development.
In 2007, our county was named "the horse capital of the world" and "home to more horses than anywhere else in the country". I expect our livestock choices won't change anytime soon.

An Ag Only vehicle (not rv) registered to a working farm, ought not leave the property without a load of farmgoods. Must remain onsite. Local agencies align with state dmv & dept of ag laws.

(FL) Freedom & Liberty state
Old 09-15-2021, 10:57 PM   #63
Bus Geek

I'd **really** love to see a drop ramp conversion to load a skoolie up with horses.

Or a 4WD shopping/errands runabout.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:09 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

As a former LEO, both as a sheriff's deputy in the County and as an urban police officer in Phoenix, I never once had occasion to visit anyone about a code enforcement issue or complaint. In most jurisdictions, I think, those things are handled by "civilian" employees and not actual LEOs. At least in my narrow experience.

And, speaking of narrow experience...here in Coconino County in Northern Arizona you can only stay in an RV on your property for 6 months. Some jurisdictions have similar limits but also require that you have a valid building permit and be "making progress" on the construction of a permanent structure on that land.

Now, if you want to live in the forest on public land you can do so forever as long as you "move" every 14 days. Since the distance of the move is not defined, I see people in essentially the same spot all the time. It's a pretty popular thing here.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #65
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Now, if you want to live in the forest on public land you can do so forever as long as you "move" every 14 days. Since the distance of the move is not defined, I see people in essentially the same spot all the time. It's a pretty popular thing here.

It was "defined" for us in Coconino National Forest by a Henry Winkler lookin' ranger who slapped an $80 ticket for overstaying our 14 days when we were camped on public land in between Cottonwood and Sedona.
Every national forest has their own limit on time and distance, which can be confusing. Length of stay is usually spelled out pretty clearly but the distance seems to vary by national forest. Coconino wanted us to move to a different national forest (Prescott NF, for instance) for a period of time. Up in SE Idaho, we only had to move 5 miles as the crow flies.
Some people assume you need to "move" maybe to an adjacent spot or something but that's no so. Every NF has their own rule on how far you need to move. Enforcement seems to vary and we've found some very lax enforcement, which can be nice if you're plumb tired of moving all the time. Affluent regions, like Sedona AZ or Ketchem ID, were a lot more strict than the more rural areas. They were the only places we really noticed any active ranger enforcement.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
a Henry Winkler lookin' ranger
I never understood how Henry Winkler got the gig on Happy Days playing a badass biker that everybody was supposably afraid of. Even Alan Alda would have been more credible in the role.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #67
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I never understood how Henry Winkler got the gig on Happy Days playing a badass biker that everybody was supposably afraid of. Even Alan Alda would have been more credible in the role.
To be fair, he looked like the Henry Winkler in the hit HBO series Barry, not like Fonzie (ayyyyy).
Old 10-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #68
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
I appreciate the discussion here because it is one my famiky is having a lot lately.

In FL it states that you cannot live in your RV full time anywhere in the state. That said, people do. We have property in what I refer to as the “rednecksville” where there are RVs, mobile homes and lots of zoning issues all around.

But the property values started to increase as more affluent move closer in and those individuals who live in their RV are being harassed and code enforcement comes out, but in reality there is little actual enforcement.

I do t want to live on our property in our bus and have to deal with potential issues like this but at the same time, we own the property and to be so restricted on what we can do just seems WRONG to us …

That said, unless we move to another state or could afford buying a lot of property where we would not be visible to others, I don’t know how we can live full-time on our bus - which is our goal. We do want to travel but to have a permanent home base too.

Recently someone posted on Facebook about a new “campground” for RV’s in a Skoolie site in Citrus County FL … and the monthly rates are $750 to $1400 sevensisterscampground.com … that is insane to us. Does anyone know of reasonable locations for year round living?

So if anyone out there has any insight on where we can live without these zoning legal issues coming our way … please reach out.

And if anyone has any ideas on how to fight these zoning issues, we’re pretty fired up about this.

Shellylynn & Billy Henry
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

AGREE. But it stinks I tell you that we have no many restrictions.

Are there any advocates in the bunch to begin doing something about this?
Old 10-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #70
Mini-Skoolie

Hi there …

Sounds like you’ve got some good info! Good luck to you!
Old 10-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Hello HamSkooklie -

We’re in Florida and exactly what you said, build something, put the Skoolie in it and you won’t have an issue!
Old 10-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Agree. Love the idea and yes … homelessness is really bad especially in FL! But I’ve seen it in Oregon too!
Old 10-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
God help them if they tag my rig...... I'll be documenting with photos and videos, every such rig I can find and submitting the complaint. When that many people get pissed....things change.

LOL, good luck to you, you will need it along with a bucket of money to get your RV out of the impound yard.

The rules/laws you think you can beat were created after too many people were doing what their neighbors did not like.

Getting them reversed is futile for an individual.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

You are correct. And that is life and that sucks!
Old 10-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

Well said.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Dear Grace,
Unless you use the quote button to reply, nobody knows what post your replying too.

Sincerely,
DoubleO7
Your neighbor up the Hwy 19/98 in Crystal River.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #77
Bus Geek

This is Amerika, the wealthy have lots of power, the poor less so even though they are the majority in many jurisdictions.

For that reason the legal / political systems are rigged to protect property as sacred

and in 99.99% of jurisdictions, the primary task of land use regulations and agencies is to preserve and increase property values.

So when gentrification gathers steam in an area where low income people used to be left alone, they will get pushed out.

So do your research, find a way to get accepted into poor jurisdictions with more freedom, but do not take it for granted things will stay that way.

Best to stick to places where people with money would never want to live.

Someplace that will get flood and hurricanes / tornadoes or wildfires, and design everything with that in mind.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
All just hurtles

On an Agricultural Forum, you may find more folks with experience. Requires more hard work, than money.

Purchace A-1 zoned land in an Agricultural community, say 10-40 acres, remove hundreds of trees, carve a driveway, fence the perimeter, add well and electric for the livestock & crops, legally convert a portion of the existing barn to a residence, consult the County's Ag Externsion and Bldg & Planning Dept.

Permitted property upgrades on agriculturally zoned land may be completed by the owner/operator of an established farm. Pay the taxes for permits/inspections, do what the county engineer says, and thank her (or him).

Protecting your herd/crops overnight is legal, everywhere. Not in an Are Vee. Farm equiptment. No more traveling, tend animals & crops. Camp out, hunt predators, night birth a horse, stare at the stars. Private camping everywhere - park in the barn, by the tractor, in the fields, or with the livestock. Saul Goodman.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:41 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Yes farming gets a lot of slack cut by land use agencies.

But takes a fair bit of capital up front, and a HUGE amount of time and work.

OP topic was just finding a bit of cheap land to "park" a bus. Setting up a farming operation is overkill means to get there.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I think one thing to add here is visibility. I know some people who live up on a mountain with good relations with their adjacent neighbors. No one cares about the ever-expanding, unpermitted “utility building”.

I’ve heard of county administrators using satellite images and helicopter to determine what’s legit, so taking the temperature of the local building officials is probably a good idea
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote