Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2021, 05:07 AM   #101

Please provide authority that one cannot live full-time in an rv legally.

Fool Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:26 AM   #102
Mini-Skoolie

That varies from state to state and even county to county within the state. You really have to research locally. My friend and I had 16 acres in rural Tennessee, way off road, and we had run power, even cable, in to our planned home site. But getting water in, and septic in the rocky soil, proved problematic. We were living simply... me in my old RV, him in his old 30-foot trailer. Local property inspectors (no doubt alerted by the person we had do the perc test) came by and told us we could not live on our OWN LAND in RVs. Must be a permanent structure, with septic, water, etc. - we had 30 days. We gave up, sold the land. Then my friend bought an old house in VT, which I disagreed with, but I went along being old and disabled. My RV died on the way. Now I'm here in VT and hating it, wanting to move to warmer climes. Moral: Do your "due diligence!" Be absolutely certain that where you live does not have ordinances against RVs or if they have exceptions.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #103
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Bus View Post
Please provide authority that one cannot live full-time in an rv legally.
Try it and see. Did you read this thread?

Or just walk into any land-use office, in a town hall or county and ask, they will be quick to tell you.

Maybe 0.1% you might get away with it for a while if you don't ask and your neighbors don't mind.

Maybe 0.001% they actually let you, even if your neighbors complain. With an approved well and septic system, maybe a slab too.

But anything can change a few years down the road.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #104
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I don't believe there is any authority in this country that can tell me I can't live in my vehicle 365 days a year. They may be able to restrict where I can park it, but not whether I can spend the night in my vehicle.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #105
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I don't believe there is any authority in this country that can tell me I can't live in my vehicle 365 days a year. They may be able to restrict where I can park it, but not whether I can spend the night in my vehcile.
Of course. The whole thing about being mobile is, when the landowner or cops or just whoever with a gun rousts you, you just move on to the next town.

This happens all the time with vanlifers.

Parking an empty vehicle is a completely different thing.

But the topic here is the desire to live in a vehicle that is stationary. From that POV same as a connex, RV, trailer home, owner-built shack without a building permit or even a tent

all come under the same type of law/regulation enforcement and likely conflict with neighbors.

Really fundamentally, comes down to using the armed power of the state to maintain property values. A much higher priority than letting poor people have low-cost housing with some dignity.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote