Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #1

New Member with the same old question

Hi folks,
I'm kicking around the idea of a shorty conversion vs a Tradesman van conversion. I'm really not looking for a camper, my wife prefers hotels... However I'm looking at retirement and she want's to keep working so looking for something I can hang around the hospital parking lot (She's a Dr.) and play guitar, do some computer programming (My old gig), take naps etc.
This site is an excellent source of info and I've learned SO much, thanks to all!
What I'm having trouble with is what I see you folks paying, vs what I see locally (San Antonio TX). I've posted some links below for a local bus dealer and I've seen prices of $10,000 for a 2007 Freightliner/Thomas with 185,000 miles and a Cat 3126, or a 2005 Freightliner/Thomas with 188,000 miles and a Cat C7.
2007 Freightliner Thomas, Stock No: 83 by Alamo City Bus Sales LLC, San Antonio TX
2005 Freightliner Thomas, Stock No: 4509 by Alamo City Bus Sales LLC, San Antonio TX

I'm not sold on these particular models, just illustrative of kind of what I want. I had to resort to Craigs list to get the prices, but they're both about 10k.
This just seems WAY out of line with what I'm seeing on this forum and wanted some guidance. I did get an email from the owners, and they stated they were all rust free, which given I live in Texas is not surprising. I've lived up north before and rust is a show stopper for me. Just can never seen to get ahead of it once it starts.

The shorty style works best for me given I'm not really camping in it, more of just a mobile office and goof off lounge. I've also considered a 7.3 powered ambulance, but really like the school bus charm.

So my basic question is how do these prices look, and if I need to look elsewhere, any recommendations?
Thanks in advance and have to say this is a great forum.

GeoffWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hello and welcome
Unfortunately Covid campers are driving the prices way up and the shorter models are demanding even higher prices so those sellers are likely to get those prices. That said it those buses check out they are very nice little buses. And the 2007 for certain will have the Cat C7 engine also. Nothing wrong with the C7 if it's been looked after.
Good luck with your search

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I would keep your eye on Facebook marketplace. There are still good deals to be had on there in my area, though admittedly I'm not near you at all. Bus dealers have always been overpriced.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:36 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Same old answer, don't buy an old school bus..particularly at those prices.
A box van is way more 'stealth'. Particularly put 'Joes Plumbing' on the side.
Here is one for $5k...

Here is one for $1,000.......

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #5

Afraid of being "Run out"

I've definitely considered a used commercial unit but my fear was they'd be pretty well run-out. Isn't that why fleets get rid of them? They reach a point where maintenance costs are going to be too much? I don't want to have to invest thousands in mechanical rebuilds. I thought (And may well be wrong) that a bus dealer would be more knowledgable and have passed on those units that are going to need too much restoration.

I was going to go look at the two units I listed earlier, but we got 4" of snow last night (Most I've seen in San Antonio in my 28 years here) so going to settle in and kick back today. My last project vehicle was a 110" diesel Land Rover Defender (Zero to 60, same day!) and while I loved the vehicle, I have to admit it was uncomfortable, slow, smelly, and leaked like a sieve. A schoolie looks like a fun project but I'd rather focus on the build out of the interior without having to deal with mechanical and rust issues.

I've looked at facebook market place, craigs list etc, but without really knowing what I'm looking at I fear it's easy to get burned. The impulse buy can go wrong unless you have someone along who is expert in the various models and the issues that affect each one.

Thanks for the quick feedback, I've been studying the "Mechanical and Drive train" thread to bolster my knowledge, but feel I still don't know enough yet to keep from getting burned. I'll keep reading here and see what develops locally.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWillis View Post
I've definitely considered a used commercial unit but my fear was they'd be pretty well run-out. Isn't that why fleets get rid of them? They reach a point where maintenance costs are going to be too much? I don't want to have to invest thousands in mechanical rebuilds. I thought (And may well be wrong) that a bus dealer would be more knowledgable and have passed on those units that are going to need too much restoration.

Guess what...school bus districts / fleets, this is exactly why they too get rid of them! Many, many times the busses ARE pretty worn out and many are not!

Many times the bus fleet has meet their designated life span, years & cost to maintain, not to mention insurance & legal time line requirements for active service as a school bus.

A bus dealer will typically purchase the bus from the same auctions we all do. A dealer may or may not choose to pre-inspect before the purchase but many purchase blind as either a "Runner" or "Non runner".

If you want to pay the extra price in the purchase that covers the dealers profit, by all means go ahead and do it, nothing wrong with that. It's your money not mine and no one is gonna criticize you for spending more...except maybe the wife...

But me, I am ok with doing some extra work if it is gonna keep money in my pocket and yes, I am willing to pay if the job is way to big for me.

Here is a list of busses currently up for grabs... at auction...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bus list 1.pdf (316.0 KB, 6 views)
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #7

Continued education

Thanks for the auction info. If these prices are indicative then yes, I could indeed save a considerable amount of money, enough to pay for rebuilds if needed. And you're right, buying from a dealer is no guarantee of not needing major work.

I guess the correct course of action is to continue educating myself so I can pick out a good deal on the auction site. I'd much rather spend 2-3k than 10k! All done I'd like to be under 20k for a reliable daily driver built out nicely on the inside.

Are there services/people who can perform a pre-purchase inspection at these auctions? Definitely worth a fee for confidence in purchasing.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
Bus Nut

A motorhome get used very little and once people pay thousands for storage they eventually tire of it after they notice they never use it and sell them, almost all with under 100k miles, some with 33k miles. The same old answer.
Now they used to be cheap, but last few months I've seen the cheap ones (under $10k) sell within days, like this one for $9k.. but a motorhome is as non-stealth as it gets.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Here you go Geoff, if you’re interested? If you are, PM me and I’ll give you the guys number and details. Also, howdy neighbor. Haven’t been to San Antone in a couple of years.
Attached Thumbnails
FE522591-8376-4102-B559-71BA3E64E891.jpg   C72FAAD0-75C7-4CB9-8822-41470C55248D.jpg   6E26F855-64E6-47B4-A5AC-881EB58DBEDE.jpg  
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote