Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

New NE memeber

Hi!!

I am new to this skoolie team. My boyfriend and I have been thinking about working on a skoolie for a while. It will still be a two year plan as we start with budgets and floor plans and tons of research. So much research haha. I wanted to get some ideas from people.

I love the idea of DIY, however my boyfriend thinks that it would be better for us since we both have full time jobs to hire people. I don't mind the idea, but I want to be able to help and do things on my own. I want to tile and make sure that the wiring is where I want it.

What have you all done? Have you hired some people but also worked alongside them? Give me ideas! I'm not afraid to get to work.

mooke147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
NE...Nebraska or New England?[emoji848]

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Im in Nebraska for now. We might move to denver for the build
mooke147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Okay. Scratch me offering local contractors [emoji19]

If you don't do it yourself, I'd suggest independent contractors for each trade you need done. For example, a licensed residential electrician to do your wiring... A finish carpenter for woodwork...etc.

It will certainly save you some headache. It will certainly NOT save you any money. It may or may not save you time.

The "little guys" are more likely to tackle this relatively odd task compared to what they typically work on (in)

I don't know about Nebraska, but there are "Skoolie Builders" out there too...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Benny's right. There should be no problem getting a professional tradesman to work with you on the build when you need them to. You could walk around and put sticky notes where you want your electrical plugs and other wiring. Many tradesmen would do the work our of curiosity as well as some beer money.

Lots of people use tradesmen to do plumbing, welding and electrical. Most of the rest of it is just manual labor and common sense. Anybody can do this if you're willing to try. There's nothing wrong with taking your bus to a diesel shop so you can feel confident about it's reliability either. You're going to learn a lot in the first couple years, but it's a fun process.

I hope you go for it.