Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: international 3800
Engine: international T444E
Rated Cap: 60 passenger
New purchase, Big project, What are the best next first steps

Hello fellow Schoolies,

Well I got my (new to me) 2002 Bluebird/ International w/T444e, 10 window w/ wheel chair lift bus, home here in Ontario.

I removed all the Seats and cleaned her inside and out, now what?

I call about a reprograming of my 175 hp T444e to 210 hp cost is about $700 Canadian ? seems like a lot but easy to do just send in existing CPU.

With the increase in hp and torque ( about 80 ft/lbs. ) I was wondering if my allision 2000 5 speed auto trans. can be programed for a 6 speed, I have 5.57 rear gears w/ 22.5 tires

The bus came titled as a motor home, I just need safety and insurance now. Co operator say they do not do modified vehicles yet the website they do ?

I would sincerely would appreciate any and all advice from those in the know having experienced the conversion process.

Thank you all for listening and if there is anything I can contribute to this forum please let me know.

Crosscountry55

crosscountry55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Congrats and welcome. Sounds like a nice rig you have there. As far as insurance, just tell them it's an Int'l RV, not a converted bus.
Where in Ont? From the County myself, Picton area.

John
Old 08-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international 3800
Engine: international T444E
Rated Cap: 60 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Congrats and welcome. Sounds like a nice rig you have there. As far as insurance, just tell them it's an Int'l RV, not a converted bus.
Where in Ont? From the County myself, Picton area.

John
Good afternoon BlackJohn and thanks,

I am located in Walkerton Ontario, John did you raise the roof on your Blue Bird, mine is only a little over 6 ft. high in the middle, seems like a lot of work ?

crosscountry55
crosscountry55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

I am located in Walkerton Ontario, John did you raise the roof on your Blue Bird, mine is only a little over 6 ft. high in the middle, seems like a lot of work ?

crosscountry55
I'm in the process of raising mine and although it's a lot of work it'll be worth it when it's done. We're finishing up the raise this weekend![emoji3][emoji2] pics to follow

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
jmcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcustom View Post
I'm in the process of raising mine and although it's a lot of work it'll be worth it when it's done. We're finishing up the raise this weekend![emoji3][emoji2] pics to follow

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
I love watching a roof raise!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

crosscountry55
Hi crosscountry55, my late father in law was born in Walkerton, never been there myself yet.

Never ever crossed my mind to raise the roof on my bus as I am vertically challenged at 5'10". My springoffs are shorter than that. Only my bro in law is over 6 ft so he is the only one who has to bend a bit. Was too much work for me at the time as my sight disappeared over an 8 hour period so conversion has been taking forever but sight is perfect now allowing me to work. Now it's all my joints and muscle aches, not enough beer I guess, lol.
Cutting the bus is nothing, it's all the finishing involved that deterred my thinking.

John
Old 08-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
[QUOTE=crosscountry55;221872]Hello fellow Schoolies,

I call about a reprograming of my 175 hp T444e to 210 hp cost is about $700 Canadian ? seems like a lot but easy to do just send in existing CPU.
With the increase in hp and torque ( about 80 ft/lbs. ) I was wondering if my allision 2000 5 speed auto trans. can be programed for a 6 speed, I have 5.57 rear gears w/ 22.5 tires
============================

Can that be done? I didn't know you could upgrade / change the engine like that - please explain. I have the same engine - I love it - but if I could add a little to it - that would be great. Mostly I would like to unlock a gear - as I feel it want's to slip up a gear when on the highway - going about 50-60mph.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:20 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
From my understanding of the T444 engines, bumping up the power to 210 is supposed to be a dealer-only change and the reason is not simply so the dealer can charge for it. The higher HP will increase heat generation and the dealer is supposed to make sure the cooling system is up to the task. Otherwise IH could void the warranty when it overheats and blows the engine. In theory, an ECU reprogram could be done on-the-bench, so to speak, but it falls on the owner to make sure it doesn't overheat with the increased heat generation.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote