Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

New school bus owner needs to replace emergency exit windows

Hello,
I just registered to Skoolie in hope to get advices and guidance to upgrade a 1998 AmTran Model CS2208 school bus. I recently purchased the bus in a bidding auction and donated it to my daughter's little charter school. The teachers and staff were so so excited to be able to transport the students to all the field works and many expeditions the school organizes. Unfortunately, we were told that it needs to have two emergency exit windows setup. There is an emergency back door and two roof hatches but apparently it is not enough.
Please help figure out how I can get some parts or kits to install those 2 emergency exit windows so our school can finally use their bus.
Thank you all in advance!
Minouchka

Minouchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Most of these school bus windows will interchange fairly easily, you just need to make sure the emergency exit windows are the same size as the ones they are replacing. Remove the screws securing the windows (inside the bus), the sealant may take some effort to remove. Remove the old window, apply fresh sealant, put the new window in place, and replace screws.

The emergency exit window is an entire assembly. For some reason, the exits in mine were replaced with regular windows.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Tell us the width of the windows that you are looking to replace.

Perhaps you will catch someone beginning a roof raise.

Unfortunately I have already given all of mine away.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #4

Thank you Steve!

Width of the windows is 26 3/4 (including aluminum frame)
Height: 29 1/4

I need two, one for each side.

Carole
Old 10-31-2018, 01:18 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

I truly do NOT want to rain on your parade. Giving your child's school a bus is a very generous thing to do. But depending upon which state you are located the difficulties in getting that bus to work may end up costing you a whole lot more than what it is worth. As in you may find it less expensive to find a bus that meets the minimum spe'c rather than retrofitting a bus that doesn't fit the minimum spe'c.

I know that in the state of OR no bus owned or contracted to be used by any school, public or private, can NOT be more than 15 years old. In addition, any bus put into service by any school has to have Kevlar non-flammable seat covers and it must have the larger 13" windows. There are no grandfather clauses in place to cover a used bus.

In WA state a private school can use anything to transport kids to/from school or on trips. But all WA state public schools must use a bus that meets the minimum WA state school spe'c for the year in which the bus first went into service in the state of WA. The number one difficulty in getting a used bus from another state to work in WA state is the requirement for side emergency doors. Only CA and AK also require side emergency doors on all buses.

If you have any other questions please feel free to private message me. I have been in the bus business a LONG time. Between being in the yellow school bus business for more than 20-years and owning/operating/buying/selling buses for 20+ years in the NW I think there isn't much I haven't seen or much I haven't been asked about buses.

Good luck.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International amtran
I have 4 wildwood fl I am pulling out of 2003 amtram. Free you pay shipping since I dont see where you are at .
Littlewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

After checking your local rules, I use Rush Bus Center in Dallas, TX. Phone number: 800-460-2877. They never give me a hard time and have always been more than fair on pricing.

Find the rules for your state on Google and read them. It is amazing the amount of people that will give you their opinion instead of the law. I have had police pull me over and try to give me a ticket when I was fully in compliance.

Also, check which drivers license is needed. It can go by number of passengers the bus is capable of and by weight.

Do not ask the rules, read them. I was once told that I had to have DOT certification if I wanted to go over 45 mph!
Lkn4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlewolf View Post
I have 4 wildwood fl I am pulling out of 2003 amtram. Free you pay shipping since I dont see where you are at .
Hello Littlewolf,
Do you still have those emergency exit windows from your 2003 amtran available?
If yes, what are their dimensions?
Thank you
Old 01-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #9

'98 Amtran school bus emergency exit windows needed

hello,
I am still looking for 2 emergency exit windows to replace in a '98 Amtran school bus.
Dimensions are:
Window width (including frame): 26 3/4
Window height (including frame): 29 1/4
Glass only width (one section): 23 1/2
Glass only height (one section): 12
Thank you for letting me know if you have some!