Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #1

New Skoolie & Owner: Traveller Bus!

Good morning from 🍊C SoCal, S.n!

My name is Edgar, and I purchased a 1995 Chevy G30 4 window short bus, w/ a 6.5l diesel back in April of 2020.

Been working on my rig ever since in hopes of working remotely so as to promote a more in tune nomadic lifestyle where I can still contribute, pursue a love of travel, and volunteer across the states.

Started by learning how to do some of the mechanical work myself: replaced glow plugs, changed engine oil/filter, replaced air filter, alternator, starter, replaced both batteries, etc. While I had some professional help w/ other stuff: flushed and replaced radiator, changed belt, rear drum brakes, replaced power steering pump & fluid, bought and installed new tires, rear diff. fluid, etc.

I wanted to ensure that I reduced as many possible variables that could lead me stranded somewhere.

Still some mechanic things I’d like to get sorted, including: suspension & steering, and reducing as many unnecessary bus wires as possible (I’m currently working through disconnecting all the wires, which is a tedious process that requires me to disconnect the battery, and then reconnect it.

As far as the actual conversion process (assumes post-deconstruction of interior phase), I’ve: repainted the exterior of all four bus wheel walls to prevent future corrosion (rust hasn’t been an issue, almost at all, considering this seems to have been a lifelong SoCal bus...), as well as some areas underneath the bus where I plan to install 2x 10 gallon under carriage grey water tanks, painted the roof w/ white primer and an oil based rustoleum enamel paint, added roof racks for a deck (6’ wide x 5.5’ long) and solar panels (2x200 watt 12v solar panels).

Most immediate projects include: Using some angle iron to build some under bus frames for the water tanks, and removing rear end interior sheet panels (these took some research, chance and gumption to start on because of the rear windows...) so that I can begin painting the interior of the bus w/ a white primer and enamel and hopefully reduce the possibility of corrosion).

Some things I have laying around for my bus build: a 200 AH 12V battery, a ~3 amp 115v dorm fridge, small microwave, Japanese sleeping Matt and mattress that can fold up, and be put away, and about 300 sqft of 1/2” cork paneling I plan to glue to the walls of the bus for insulation and noise reduction. I also ordered about 200 sqft of 2” thick wool insulation at the end of Jan 2021, and that’s on back order for 4-6 weeks.

Items I plan to purchase next mostly revolve around patching up the bus windows(new latches & springs), securing the bus by adding bolts to the front passenger door, and rear emergency exit door, and framing out the interior of the bus. Followed by installing the electrical (will likely buy a solar generator that you can add your own batteries and solar panels to), and building out the Skoolie restroom/shower (thinking of going w/ a 23 gal galvanized utility stock tank for the shower base, and compost toilet).

I’ve been living at home w/ family the whole time since I bought the bus (been at home w/ family a few years prior to that), which is nice because I save a lot of money on rent, but which has its drawbacks because we live in a residential street w/ a lot of apartments, and horrible parking. Overall, I’d still consider my situation fortunate, because the local parking authorities regularly swing by my bus (as well as the cops), and haven’t said anything yet.

I am in the process of applying for a remote job (fingers 🤞🏽), and if all goes well, I might be starting on March 1st.

The promise of regular income again, has gotten me looking into short term rentals (all around SoCal, and even going as far up north as Ojai) for houses so I can work remotely in peace (hard to do at home), and even warehouse spaces in industrial buildings (more local to OC, just so I can work remotely there from early work in the morning, till around 9/10 PM, so I can put some hours into the bus w/ out distractions). Lately I’ve even been considering renting out an industrial building in Central CA for $2500 ~3k sqft w/ an office and seeing if other people might want to sublet some spaces on 2 mo rentals, but more on this later if anyone is interested in the possibility.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself, my situation for others who might still be considering getting into a school bus conversion, and anyone else who’d like to connect, specially here in SoCal!

Looking forward to making connections here on S.n!

Edgar w/ Traveller Bus!

Attached before pic (all yellow), and current (white roof and racks):
Attached Thumbnails
41169B99-0746-4839-ACBE-E00D49F62605.jpg   B8AB0FF9-ED76-439B-AE9C-70EF44433462.jpeg  

TravellerBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Bus number 420, nice.
Just keep parking near that grey wooden truck in the background, you blend right in.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Welcome.

Seems like you are a very thorough person! You've done a hell of a lot in a short amount of time.

I like the idea of the warehouse space and sub-leasing for others to work on their projects out of the weather.

It sounds like you are well on your way to your nomadic life.

Looking forward to seeing interior pics.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Bus number 420, nice.
Just keep parking near that grey wooden truck in the background, you blend right in.
Good evening, DeMac! Lol, yeah, when I saw the 420, I knew it was meant to be! I ended up painting over the number, but you can still see the outline in the right sunlight. And, definitely grateful there are a few of those trucks in the neighborhood, otherwise I might not be so lucky...
Old 03-11-2021, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Welcome.

Seems like you are a very thorough person! You've done a hell of a lot in a short amount of time.

I like the idea of the warehouse space and sub-leasing for others to work on their projects out of the weather.

It sounds like you are well on your way to your nomadic life.

Looking forward to seeing interior pics.
Evening to you as well Steve! Thank you, but I actually feel like I am falling behind, and combined with a few other things, it's starting to depress me how little progress I make some weeks.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a few jobs I've been applying to, so I won't be able to explore leasing a warehouse space... also a reason for feeling in down at the moment.

But, I am going to try and see if some people in this forum (and the reddit forum) might be interested in meeting up near Joshua Tree soon, for a little communal (while socially distancing) support.

Tags
california, community, new skoolie, new skoolie owner, socal