Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2015
Coachwork: Bluebird FE All American
Chassis: F444162
Engine: ISB 6.7L 260 cummins
Rated Cap: 60
New Skoolie Owner

Hi all,

Any advice on insuring an unconverted skoolie just bought one at auction today? Just need insurance to drive it home from the auction house 6 miles away. Got a 2015 Bluebird with a isb 6.9L, and 15,000 miles on it, the idle hours are unfortunately the weak point. 11,000 idle hours, sat on the North slope of Alaska in -60f temps for two winters. I’m a pretty happy camper right now, having helped a few friends over the years convert their buses. It has five webasto heaters inside, with lots of insulation on foof, fllor, and side walls. I feel like I just won the lottery. Paid a little extra for it, but it’s my, no ours to deal with right now.

Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I think I saw that one last night looking through the auctions. Was wondering if the idle hours were a typo but then noticed the location. Wow, I hope it runs okay for you. That's a LOT of hours and keeping the temperature in operating range while idling must have been interesting.
Insurance for a six mile drive? I think I wouldn't worry about it.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
How many of those hours were in High Idle mode to keep the temps up?
Old 08-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Supposedly it was in low idle mode, since it’s fitted with a webasto heater with five heating outlets. Well see!
Old 08-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
10,050 idle hours
Old 08-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie View Post
I think I saw that one last night looking through the auctions. Was wondering if the idle hours were a typo but then noticed the location. Wow, I hope it runs okay for you. That's a LOT of hours and keeping the temperature in operating range while idling must have been interesting.
Insurance for a six mile drive? I think I wouldn't worry about it.
No typo on idle hours, 10,050. It is fitted with five webasto heating vents, instead of the usual two.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
...idle hours, sat on the North slope of Alaska in -60f temps for two winters....

10,050hrs/ 2yr = 5,025 hr ea.yr / 24hr = 209 days&nights, no interruption, no maintenance or refueling down-time, calculated. Then repeated a second year. That was someones life support.
Equal to 201k mile engine at 20mi/hr ave

I'm just doing the math. How's the body steel & window seals? Everything else, look good? Plus-sized alternator? Lots of heat upgrades, for sure. Will they be heating the floors and bath water?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I thought the Webastos didn't require idling the engine?

In extreme cold you need to idle (or start periodically) for a number of reasons.

To keep non winter fuel from gelling when going into cold temps.
To keep engine oil from thickening to the point you can't start
To keep the engine warm enough to start without preheating the block
To prevent frozen batteries

Unless the rig is designed or fitted with integral systems to mitigate these issues (and rigs routinely in such conditions should have them).

At extreme cold weather (ECW) training our warmer lattitude trucks had to be started and idled for 10-15 minutes every hour to prevent ECW starting issues and frozen batteries.
We added our anti gel additive to our diesel rigs and drove them to circulate the additive through the tank and lines. Another unit didn't do that thinking they could add the additive once at the training site. They spent their entire training time removing the gelled fuel and repairing their trucks.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:03 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the feedback. Alternator os plus size. Thought about the florr heat. Otherwise heater will be used to stay warm during our -50f -60f winters. Body is in excellent condition. Crack in passenger side windshield. No rust to speak of. Tires are bridgestone (no recaps) with about 90% tread, drag chains, 100 gallon tank that had 85 gallons in it. Although the tires are 6years old, and mounted on steel wheels. Will change out oil & filter in next few days.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Ham. Living u- here in Fairbanks we’re used to the cold -50f -60f temps. All you said is true. The vehicle like my cars n truck are winterized with the typical tranny and oil pan heaters, ebgine block heater, and battery trickle charger. That said thats about 1,400 watt drain. So you pick n choose based on the overnight temps what to use. Trickle charger is a must all the time. I know my electric bill will go up. Gelling fuel is as you said a nightmare for diesels up hereJust no sure if I should let it sit all winter or run it periodically like you suggested. One trick I’ve learne up here on -60f nites is to cover your vehicle in a parachute and the run abullet heater under it for acouple hours. It almost always works.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Never heard the term "drag chains". Is that a form of automatic snow chains?
We have automatics on our bus. Flip a switch and you're done. Hella better than having to throw chains on those big tires.

For a vehicle that's going to stay in a region with annual ECW I would think that a coolant heating system would be the way to go. Either electric or diesel fired depending on available resources. Combined with an electric battery blanket that should be sufficient for storage periods.
If you're planning on living in it then I'd suggest fresh tanks inside the heater area, all possible plumbing inside the heated area, heat vented into underside storage tanks that are also insulated (if you have sufficient battery capacity or plan to be plugged in to the grid then electric heating on the tanks would work. Heat into an insulated battery bay for the SLA starting batteries with house batteries inside the heated area or provided with heat if underneath.
Insulation for all the tanks and plumbing will be your biggest friend.
Sounds like a fun project
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 08-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Ham, yes drag chains are the same as automatic chains. Also thanks fir the advice, especially keeping piping and tanks inside as much as possible. Not living in it yet. Just beging to change out seats.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks DeMac
Old 08-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Hi all,

Any advice on insuring an unconverted skoolie just bought one at auction today? Just need insurance to drive it home from the auction house 6 miles away. Got a 2015 Bluebird with a isb 6.9L, and 15,000 miles on it, the idle hours are unfortunately the weak point. 11,000 idle hours, sat on the North slope of Alaska in -60f temps for two winters. I’m a pretty happy camper right now, having helped a few friends over the years convert their buses. It has five webasto heaters inside, with lots of insulation on foof, fllor, and side walls. I feel like I just won the lottery. Paid a little extra for it, but it’s my, no ours to deal with right now.
Progressive commercial lines. When you call progressive ask for commercial lines. Explain what you just wrote here. You'll probably get 6mo for about 230.00
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Drive it home like a man and remember easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission
orangebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebus View Post
Drive it home like a man and remember easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission
‐----------------

Neither:
Children ask and beg.

Men & Women (adults, soldiers, etc) face their battles, pay thier taxes, etc. Ensure security.

Childern (and the like) try to not be caught by adults, LEO, debtors, etc. Elude security.

Not to say being uninsured on the way home is unusual. However, asking and begging are not definitive of being a 'man', in today's society.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

It's 6 miles. or 10 minute drive.
drive it home like a girl then
Old 08-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:

And what is the penalty for driving without insurance in that state?
What is the effect on ability to then get proper insurance? Driving without insurance is a big red flag that can have far greater consequences than many consider.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Well you will still have your pride whatever that is worth, drove mine home 200+ miles 40 foot never drove a bus before, you know like a man, assumed the 30 day insurance clause covered this new to me vehicle.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Well you will still have your pride whatever that is worth, drove mine home 200+ miles 40 foot never drove a bus before, you know like a man, assumed the 30 day insurance clause covered this new to me vehicle.

The "30 day insurance clause" is not going to cover unless you're insurance is covering a bus already.
With a 40' rig you likely have air brakes. Depending on your state, unless you have a CDL and an air brake endorsement you're probably driving without a license.
"Like a man"? Okaaaaaay then.

Tags
insurance issues, new owner