Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1
New Skoolie Owner Alert

Hey there guys, I'm super excited to have just purchased a 81 International. I'd thought about it for sometime and I figured hey I'm 26yrs old, why the hell not. I'm currently starting from scratch with researching just how I should proceed with building out my bus. It's a manual transmission which posed some challenges at first, luckily I rode motorcycles so the clutch and shifting business wasn't a completely foreign concept. It's a real rust job to be honest, and I see myself putting a lot of work into the bus in that regard!
Didn't know I apparently need a CDL to operate the monster, but I'm not one to shy away from a challenge. I don't plan to do a bunch of driving with this bus, but I would like it to be a nice chill spot for friends and maybe an Airbnb on occasion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know some of you guys and gals to see what your projects are and how they're developing.

Mwilder01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
milkmania's Avatar
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,446
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I'm not required to possess a CDL for my bus (with air brakes) in Oklahoma as it is registered as a motorhome.
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Bus Nut
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 266
Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
No CDL for me neither. Im in Utah, I have Air Brakes, but I'm licensed as a medium duty truck- up to 34,000 lbs I believe.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 2,233
If your bus is registered as an RV you do NOT need to have a CDL regardless of what the GVWR might be.

The only thing you might need is an air brake endorsement if you decide to visit Canada if your bus has air brakes.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,634
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
You don't say where your located, I'm in Ca and the rule here is under 40ft Class C all you need over 40ft & over Class B endorsement req.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.