Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #1

Year: 1997
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
New skoolie owner... Help lol

My wife and I just purchased our first bus! SICK!!! I've watched a million YouTube videos and read blogs but now that it's here.... WHAT DO I DO FIRST? We are about to gut and strip it down this week... so that's a start. WHAT comes next? It will be a full time traveling home for us. I want to strategically accomplish the projects for ultimate success. I DO not want to to encounter dumb issues I should have thought and accounted for when starting. We wanna do solar for electricity, we need all the plumbing, skylights to replace emergency exits, we need A.C. that we can run at nights for sure off our solar. I would like to do wooden roof( but don't wanna be drilling a ton of holes into it afterward... would like to account for holes in ceiling or knock those projects out first) Long story short, we are overwhelmed and could really use some solid guidance so we don't get stuck. Any and All input is welcomed... we are NEWBIES! Thank you all in advance.

CliffordtheBusandUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I would start with a few things :

1. Remove the seats so you have an empty bus.
2. Rust treat/insulate the floor.

3. Design your floor plan. Now that you have an empty bus, you can tape out things on the floor, make cardboard "walls" and mock up your designs. I think that's the best way to try and do things ONCE - plan, plan plan. Seeing the physical space will make it easier to do the layout.

You said you want to do a solar setup, so sit down, and start doing your calculations for how much power you need, what batteries you want, etc. etc. AC and batteries is going to require a hefty battery system. Lots of threads about that.

I would specifically hold off doing the insulation, walls, or ceiling yet - run your plumbing and wiring first.

It sounds hard, but there's about a weeks worth of work, then a lot of head scratching and pencil-pushing and planning before you jump in again. (At least, that's what I've seen 95% on the forum.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Mark summed it up. Would also add a good playlist to keep you going and maybe a little wine. How many people will be living in it. I am trying to do a layout for 2 busses right now and each time we get close we change it a little. Main thing dont stress.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome! Seems you have a pretty nice bus. Lots of suggestions coming for you.
Here's mine...drive it a lot before you do anything and then make it mechanically and electrically fit.

No sense putting a whole lot of sweat into it if it needs work in either or both of those areas I mentioned.

Drive it hard and see how it stands up after you have checked out fluids, batteries, belts, tires, brakes, lights etc.

Actually you should do this before you pay for it.

Good luck,

John