Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

New to bus life

Hello all,

I live in SE FL in a condo where I've been based for the last 20 years. I travel for my work a metric ton load (actually on the road for about half of the year). I mainly travel by car and stay in hotels. I've decided I've had enough of FL and hotels so plan on selling my condo, buying a bus and converting it as a live-work space.

I am an artist with 2 dogs. I have minimal personal stuff but have some tools. I plan to live and work in the bus for an undetermined length of time.

I'm at the very beginning of figuring out what I want/need so am clearly in need of good advice.

Here's my wishlist

I'd like to convert the vehicle somewhere dry and relatively warm that's not FL. Any good suggestion of locations or places to buy and convert? i.e TX, CO NV AZ etc

I would like about 25 linear feet to live/work in. What type of vehicle should I be looking for? I will probably add a deck and some roof storage.

I believe a diesel engine is the most efficient and probably a dog nose model though I am open to other sensible suggestions... any brand or engine model suggestions are welcome.

That's it for now.

Cheers C!

The Number 13 Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Welcome!

What kind of art do you do?

I'd say you've got a LOT of choices if you're looking for 25 feet of usable space - you could find a medium-length full-size bus, or you could look at a full-size 40-foot bus, and have plenty of room for an extended garage (or studio space, depending on your art) in the back.

I think most people would agree with you that a diesel would be best.

On the dognose vs. flatnose debate, everyone has their own preferences. Engine access, ease of maintenance, engine noise, handling - everyone's got an opinion.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome,

It sounds like you have a good plan.

I had the opportunity to live in my first bus full time on the road for six years. I miss the nomadic lifestyle.

Good luck with your quest and keep us posted on your progress.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the messages.

Mark I thought I had replied earlier but it looks as though the message didn't post. Here's my website artist I'm also an educator and I work as a consultant to art materials manufacturers.

Do either of you have a preference on a particular bus style or brand and if so what is it and why?

Cheers Celia
The Number 13 Bus is offline   Reply With Quote