Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #1

Smile New to forum, looking to see if anyone is converting a C-2 Sefetyliner

Hello,
I am in the early stages of looking into converting a school bus as a tiny home. I am looking to see if anyone is in the process or has converted a conventional C-2 Safetyliner. I like the headroom over the FS 65's. Thanks in advance, Tom

tsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutton View Post
Hello,
I am in the early stages of looking into converting a school bus as a tiny home. I am looking to see if anyone is in the process or has converted a conventional C-2 Safetyliner. I like the headroom over the FS 65's. Thanks in advance, Tom
WHat year is that?
Emmisions equipment and engine complexity and all that get REAL bad after about 2004/2005. So bad in fact that a lot of bus yards are switching to other fuels.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

It's a 2010 66 passenger Thomas with a Mercedes-Benz. I have been a school bus mechanic for over 30 yrs and I am aware of the emissions. Was looking to see if anyone converted a C-2 over and how did it go. Thanks for your insight. Tom
Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It's a 2010 66 passenger Thomas with a Mercedes-Benz. I have been a school bus mechanic for over 30 yrs and I am aware of the emissions. Was looking to see if anyone converted a C-2 over and how did it go. Thanks for your insight. Tom
Hey, if you're a seasoned bus mechanic, stick around! We're mostly all amateurs here, and could use your knowledge and experience.

Because we're not skilled, because we're not experienced, because we don't have access to all those wonderful computer based diagnostic tools, we tend to shy away from newer, more complex, more computerized equipment. Also, MB engines have a rep on this forum for being expen$$ive to repair, so they're relatively rare. As are CNG setups; we don't have access to that sort of infrastructure, and it's hard to go cross country in a CNG bus.

You wouldn't happen to have the magic recipe to unlock 6th gear in an Allison 3060 by any chance, wouldja?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Sorry, man. You probably understand why newer diesels aren't for the average diy-er.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #6

I am trying to get an answer to your 3060 transmission question. Hope to have an answer to you soon.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I am trying to get an answer to your 3060 transmission question. Hope to have an answer to you soon.
A couple of observations:

1) THANK YOU! It was a semi-sarcastic question, since this is an issue that people have been banging their heads against the wall over for quite some time now. I asked knowing that it was a long shot.

2) Don't kill yourself just for lil' ol' me; I don't own a bus yet. I aspire to have a 40' rear engine pusher with a Cummins 8.3 and a 3060 in it, but so do about 3/4 of us here from what I can tell.

3) Please continue the pursuit of the question; there are 25-30 of us at a conservative estimate who would love to know this and would put it to use immediately. We know of one, count 'em, one member of the community who has done it by knocking on Allison's front door and politely asking permission, and several who have failed this course of action.

Again, thanks in advance for anything you can dig up.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-2, safetyliner, thomas