Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Talking New to skoolie life.

Hey everyone,

I'm extremely excited that I found out about skoolie life. I'm currently going through some rough times, and I was looking for something out of the norm. I stumbled upon skoolies by accident, looking back to when I found out about skoolie life it seems more like a blessing in disguise . I don't have a bus just yet, I'm in the process of researching the reliability aspects of busses in general. Are there any pointers I should be aware of when looking at busses? I understand chassis rust and everything rust-related, but if there's something that would be overlooked that would help me out I'd be gratefully appreciative. Other than that I've given my hopefully soon-to-be-purchased bus a name. I'm going with my username on this one and calling it iNomad! I look forward to chatting and learning all about the skoolie lifestyle! I can not wait to make this much-needed change in my life!

Thanks everyone!

iNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: FS65
Engine: 7.2L IL6 (3126)
Rated Cap: 44
We're in the process of getting a price for the 2000 Thomas bus. Hope to get started with bus life soon. Good luck in your search for your bus!
Rbru8030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Welcome! This is the place to be [emoji1]
My only advice is never give up! Nothing in my build was easy but it was all worth it.
It took 4 months to find and purchase our bus.
All of the little things you need to purchase ADD UP BIGTIME. (I feel like I've spent more $$ on screws than on the damn solar setup hahaha)
Usually someone has asked the question already, so make friends with the skoolie forum search feature - I have found all of my answers here and owe everyone dinner for it.
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
When we discuss rust here, it is usually not the chassis that is the concern, but the years of kids tracking in wet, salty snow that melts and goes through to the floor causing massive rust under the wood floor. For this reason we stay away from purchasing buses in the "rust belt" states, which is pretty much anywhere in the N.E. 1/4 of the USA. Though if there is any significant rust on the chassis, you can almost guarantee the floor is toast.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbru8030 View Post
We're in the process of getting a price for the 2000 Thomas bus. Hope to get started with bus life soon. Good luck in your search for your bus!
Thanks a bunch! Good luck to you as well! I hope it all goes smoothly for you!
Old 09-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
Welcome! This is the place to be [emoji1]
My only advice is never give up! Nothing in my build was easy but it was all worth it.
It took 4 months to find and purchase our bus.
All of the little things you need to purchase ADD UP BIGTIME. (I feel like I've spent more $$ on screws than on the damn solar setup hahaha)
Usually someone has asked the question already, so make friends with the skoolie forum search feature - I have found all of my answers here and owe everyone dinner for it.
Oh I've researched a lot and still feel like I haven't scratched the surface. I'm definitely not giving this goal up for anything! I know this will be a huge change for me and how I live. I'm still saving up on top of what I've already put away for the bus. When you made mention of the search feature, I found it shortly after while browsing this site and yes, it's an amazingly helpful tool! I'll be using it a lot more from now on! Thanks for the support! I wish you the best of luck on your build and can't wait to see some photos of it coming along and the final product!
Old 09-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
When we discuss rust here, it is usually not the chassis that is the concern, but the years of kids tracking in wet, salty snow that melts and goes through to the floor causing massive rust under the wood floor. For this reason we stay away from purchasing buses in the "rust belt" states, which is pretty much anywhere in the N.E. 1/4 of the USA. Though if there is any significant rust on the chassis, you can almost guarantee the floor is toast.
See, I didn't think about the floors. I knew the wood under layer might have been damaged but didn't think about it damaging beyond the wood. Thankfully I'm purchasing the bus locally here in Florida. I shouldn't have to worry too much about the chassis rust (even though I'm still gonna check for it) but I'll definitely keep an eye out for the floor condition. I appreciate the knowledge! definitely gonna keep that in mind!

Thank you!
Old 09-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Lots of bus auctions around Florida. Their previews are good place to look at buses, well before you've secured the funding. Alot of counties here run 'em long & hard, but there are also some terrific buses. Go in old jeans, crawl around under a bunch, you'll be able to spot shite when you are ready to buy. Ask lots of questions here, from those who have done it. Its ok to not know everything, already.

Aside from reading & learning about various buses & government requirements, there is alot of (often overlooked) physical labor that can be done, before you purchace a skoolie, to make every day of your build more pleasant & secure.

Do already you have a worksite, on a flat hard surface, that includes a place to secure tools & materials with power, water, restroom & shade?

(Edit: No dealer license req'd. The auctions each sell all of the county's junk, not just vehicles. Private sellers, too. CDL & insurance is based on vehicle registration, not how many pax are riding today)
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #9

Yea thankfully. I have access to auto shops, I have a pretty big collection of tools, saws, jacks, air tools... the list goes on lol. I'm honestly looking forward to the building aspect. I've laid out about 15-20 floor plans on my iPad already lol. I'm pretty sure that you have to have a license or some kind of permit allowing you into the auctions in Florida. I mean that's only if it's similar to car auctions, like a dealer license to attend them. I'll double-check into that. I know in order to drive them in the state of fl you don't need a CDL since you're not carrying passengers. It is just a written test about the airbrakes. I'm still researching everything that I need to make a purchase and transport of the bus happen. It's looking more and more feasible each time I look something up though. Thank you for the tip about going and inspecting them at auction sites before purchasing! I already put that in my notes for things to look for when I do go to make that purchase!
Old 09-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNomad View Post
Yea thankfully. I have access to auto shops, I have a pretty big collection of tools, saws, jacks, air tools... the list goes on lol. I'm honestly looking forward to the building aspect. I've laid out about 15-20 floor plans on my iPad already lol. I'm pretty sure that you have to have a license or some kind of permit allowing you into the auctions in Florida. I mean that's only if it's similar to car auctions, like a dealer license to attend them. I'll double-check into that. I know in order to drive them in the state of fl you don't need a CDL since you're not carrying passengers. It is just a written test about the airbrakes. I'm still researching everything that I need to make a purchase and transport of the bus happen. It's looking more and more feasible each time I look something up though. Thank you for the tip about going and inspecting them at auction sites before purchasing! I already put that in my notes for things to look for when I do go to make that purchase!
Lots of bus auctions are public, no dealer license required. Florida in general is a bad place to buy buses though since most that make it to the auctions have mechanical problems and/or are gutted for parts.

I don't even bother looking at Florida bus listings anymore for this reason.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
iNomad is in FL, smartly intends to inspect, before buying. For those who can't physically inspect, don't buy sight unseen (from FL). Lots of cannibalized & broken junk, with just a few gems sprinkled in.
From the auction, where we bought Freddy D, only 6 of the 20 buses auctioned were "works, runs, drives".

We've been going to all sorts of auctions for several years to buy and sell everything you can imagine. Always preview, look close, and smell it.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote