Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #1

Wink NEW To SKOOLIE World NYC

Greetings ,my first post,looking at starting my own build soon looking at purchasing a 1998 Classic BlueBird School bus 55 passenger seats,not sure what the length would be??,but engine is a Cummins motor which is on the rear end and it has well over 200,000 miles,guy is selling for $3,000 is it a good deal? I don’t know nothing about bus mechanics...
Traveling to Maryland to pick it up and bring it back to NYC and work on the build,any advice or tips I might be in for on my way back to nyc would be great,I’m winging it no license no plates and no insurance ,I’m traveling not in commerce, might just write a private property or not for hire sign,any ideas as to what I can expect?Also I’m on a tight budget for the build so I’m looking at pretty much just renovating the floor to wood tiles perhaps some insulation and building as I go,any ideas on What that can cost? I’ve never done a build it’s my first time and probably would be working alone on it,
Are there any suggestions on places I can work on my conversion in NYC In the Bronx area??

P.S.
I know corona epidemic is going around so any advice
On what to expect with that on the road would be appreciated
Thanks

Don D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Going to get a bus during the coronavirus pandemic is a bad idea. Driving a bus (or any vehicle) without liability insurance is a terrible idea, always.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #3

Are you speaking from experience?I may understand your point of view, it’s a now or never kind of situation and have a place to live you know,I’m open to discover and new experiences.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
IDK man. Are you saying you have NO license? I don’t think I’d do it. Are you doing this in order to have shelter, as in, you’ll be sleeping on a grate of you don’t?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D View Post
Are you speaking from experience?I may understand your point of view, it’s a now or never kind of situation and have a place to live you know,I’m open to discover and new experiences.
I am speaking from common sense as far as traveling during a pandemic is concerned. I am speaking from experience as far as driving without insurance is concerned - the experience of getting hit by an uninsured driver.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #6

Genesis do you mind sharing your story of the uninsured driver?
Danjo:A place to stay with the pandemic I don’t trust the shelter system,right now I’m staying with some family,and I have enough to buy a bus the only thing it’s in Maryland I’m in NYC. I might be going with a licensed driver to pick it up with me but that’s not guaranteed.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
In Ohio..if you must leave the state they are asking you to self quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning....not sure how they would enforce it, not sure what the authorities in NY expect.
In Maryland, getting pulled over for not having any license tag is likely, getting pulled over with bogus tags would be worse, driving uninsured I think is a "jailable" offense but they may not want to incarcerate unless they absolutely have no alternative...they WILL impound your bus so you can figure on at least a few hundred $ tow bill plus daily storage fees which will quickly exceed the value of the bus.
When buying a schoolie (or any thing really) never get in a rush, especially if the seller is pushing a deadline. There will always be another deal just around the corner. Be patient...maybe find a place to park it and work on it first, then find the best bus for you.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:18 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
oh yeah, $3000. is more than most of us paid for our buses...with lower miles...don't repeat my mistake, I was too eager to get my bus and made a deal on the internet for a 6 window that didn't have a lot of miles but had a ton of hours on it, I lost $1000, learned a valuable lesson and ended up buying a better bus for way less than that bus...including my loss money.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #9

Barnyardcamp i will definitely take that into account
the seller told me the price is very negotiable,and he informed me about getting dealer plates that last a month for $150 so I might use that option instead of no plates,the bus I’m looking at has 11 windows and it’s a flat nose bluebird,by chance does anyone know how long/how many feet would that be ???
It has a Cummings engine on the rear side 1998 Bluebird Flatnose,I’d appreciate any input,
Thank you
Old 04-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D View Post
Barnyardcamp i will definitely take that into account
the seller told me the price is very negotiable,and he informed me about getting dealer plates that last a month for $150 so I might use that option instead of no plates,the bus I’m looking at has 11 windows and it’s a flat nose bluebird,by chance does anyone know how long/how many feet would that be ???
It has a Cummings engine on the rear side 1998 Bluebird Flatnose,I’d appreciate any input,
Thank you
That will be about 31', I think. My formula is: number of windows times 27.5", plus 6' for an RE or FE and plus 10' for a CE.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
"I don’t know nothing about bus mechanics...". That is a deal breaker all by itself. Not having a license and insurance has major negative lifetime life changing prospects. Traveling around NYC during the pandemic has serious life threatening implications. Where in NYC would you be allowed to live in and work on your bus?

For now buy a used sticks and staples if you just have to move and leave becoming a Skoolie for a better time.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #12
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
"I don’t know nothing about bus mechanics...". That is a deal breaker all by itself. Not having a license and insurance has major negative lifetime life changing prospects. Traveling around NYC during the pandemic has serious life threatening implications. Where in NYC would you be allowed to live in and work on your bus?

For now buy a used sticks and staples if you just have to move and leave becoming a Skoolie for a better time.
Jack
I have to say I agree with this one. Even better, a bumper-pull or fifth wheel travel trailer, and pay a friend to move it for you. That way, a cop can't hassle you for not having a license, living in a trailer. Keys in the ignition of even a small Class C, that's intent for DUI, I'm pretty sure they'd find a way to hem you up on no license too for something stupid. Don't need a license to live in a trailer.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #13

Cool

Guys There’s ways in NYC around mostly anything,Although My plan is to ask a family member in CT if I can do the build there and pay monthly ,I will try to hold maybe by the end of summer ,Or learn to find a way,something’s gotta give,I’m determined!!setbacks do not define me ,I shall prevail!!!

« Hey from fl | Heya! »