Originally Posted by Pizote
Hello all - new here.
- I work in IT, getting close to early retirement
- I have owned travel trailers and currently own a 26' Class C
- I know how to weld and have done a considerable amount of mechanical work on my Jeep - inclusive of rebuilding differentials, electrical work, etc.
- I have remodeled my home twice so I am familiar with stick and nail construction from foundations, to framing, to electrical, plumbing, etc. Finishing work is -NOT- my forté
What I'm looking to do:
- Buy a skoolie
- Convert the outside to something similar to this picture - the classic Latin American "Chicken Bus"
- Convert the inside to an RV
Here's what I'm looking for:
- Conventional Bus 26-30'
- Preferably overpowered Diesel engine (don't know much about them, have read a lot here but all the model numbers are jumbling together)
- HD Transmission
- Order of Operations: what do to first, exterior or interior (very separate steps as I will outsource the exterior in Guatemala - cost and all even with the cost of transport)
- Changing registration type in California to a MH chassis rather than a BU chassis
- Understanding realistic budgets for the bus and for the interior. I can spend some money but don't want it to run into the home remodeling cost range. I also don't want to skimp - I want to do it right.
- Finally - gotchas: what to look out for.
Thanks in advance...
See my shorty threads... You and I seem to have the same taste in buses.
I'd take any straight six up to 2003 as long as its a Cummins, International, or Cat.
Its hard to find higher HP shorties. My 04 IC (with 03 engine) has a 215hp DT466E with allison 2000. Its a "hot rod" by bus standards.
I've been wanting to give it the full big-rig chicken-bus treatment!!!!
Here it is at my wedding this March-
I'm the one on the far left in the blue and green kilt!