Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2022, 03:59 PM   #1

new to the forum after lurking for a while

hey y'all, just my quick obligatory intro.

not yet a bus owner, but I've been kind of intrigued by the idea of bus conversions ever since I was a kid and my parents got acquainted with a couple who had a converted MCI back in the late 70s early 80s at Sandpiper's Trace campground in Manteo NC. I grew up going on camping trips with my parents in a little Viking pop up which definitely installed an early love of the outdoors and nature.

been a maker type my entire life, I love building things and learning to build things. my stepdad built houses with his dad after he got out of the Navy back in the 50s and he was a master electrician so I was fortunate to learn a lot (but never enough) from him. My approach to all of my creative endeavors is a balance of save where it makes sense, MacGyver if it's safe but get the right tool for the job wherever possible. Whether it's building a table or making a quilt, I like to take my time and do the job right.

my dream would be to do a conversion on a small (cutaway) or shmedium size like the Int'l 6 window dog nose styles that is at least short term off grid capable.

Börk Is My Copilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:41 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
welcome to the asylum
Lots of good info here so do yourself a huge favor and read the post about drive trains so you don't get stuck with a POS.
Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
welcome to the asylum
Lots of good info here so do yourself a huge favor and read the post about drive trains so you don't get stuck with a POS.
Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.
Oh yes, I've been doing lots of research on that and there are few folks I follow that have given pretty extensive information on base platforms to look for, which to avoid and why - as well as some unfortunate personal experiences with both Ford and GM trucks that we have owned (cough Ford 6.0 cough).

I don't think I'd even look at anything newer than 2003. I prefer older stuff anyway, easier to work on. I had a 63 Plymouth Valiant back in the day and spent lots of time under the hood on that one.
Börk Is My Copilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
When I was a teenager, I bought and old valiant (either a 63 or 64 model) for $100. Slant 6 was seized. I pulled the plugs, poured ATF into the cylinders and let it sit a couple days,
Got it to turn over, put fresh fuel in it and dam if that thing didn't run. I don't remember what I sold it for.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote