Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 03:06 AM   #1

New to the site

Hey everyone,

New to the Skoolie community, have been looking around for the perfect bus to begin this project. Almost 40 years old kids are almost out of the house and the wife and I are wanting to travel, and what better when then in a house i have built. I hope to learn alot from this community and hopefully give some good info as well.

~Brad/Erica

SinisterMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterMind View Post
Almost 40 years old kids are almost out of the house...
I know someone that is going to be surprised after I complete a conversion and sell the house.

Welcome. Where are you located and do you have certain things you are looking for in a bus?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Hi Brad and Erica,

You're where we were a few years ago. We've been full time for over a year now and couldn't be happier with how things have worked out. Welcome to the group and good luck in your search!
Old 07-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
Welcome to the forum
There are lots of knowledgeable folks on here
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Welcome to all the possibilities a repurposed school bus has to offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
I know someone that is going to be surprised after I complete a conversion and sell the house.
Haha! When I first said we should sell the house and go full-time for 10 years, I was met with extreme resistance. The more I talk about it, the less resistance I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Hi Brad and Erica,

You're where we were a few years ago. We've been full time for over a year now and couldn't be happier with how things have worked out. Welcome to the group and good luck in your search!
We have talked about full-timing for a year and keeping the house incase we don't like the road. I think that's a good compromise, but hopeful it'll only take a few months to love the life so I can get rid of the house responsibility.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
We have talked about full-timing for a year and keeping the house incase we don't like the road. I think that's a good compromise, but hopeful it'll only take a few months to love the life so I can get rid of the house responsibility.

I think that's a wise way to do it. If you like where you are I wouldn't necessarily recommend selling your house. There are times we would like a break from moving every couple of weeks, it can get exhausting.

We sold the house because we knew we didn't want to stay where we were (13 miles from downtown Chicago). The plan was always to travel full time until we find a spot we want to settle down in, and then travel part time. I miss my gardens, Drew misses having his workshop, we both miss having a place for the kids and grandkid(s) to gather.

That said, the bus is working out beautifully. We're very comfortable living in it, it has handled every crazy forest service road we've wanted to go down, it has been exactly what we hoped for when we were planning, dreaming, and building it out.

Kristen
Old 07-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We sold the house because we knew we didn't want to stay where we were (13 miles from downtown Chicago). The plan was always to travel full time until we find a spot we want to settle down in, and then travel part time. I miss my gardens, Drew misses having his workshop, we both miss having a place for the kids and grandkid(s) to gather.

Kristen
You guys passed through my quaint little town a few months ago. We do love where we live and have several of our kids and grandkids that live in the area too. I am just tired of the home/property responsibility, especially with retirement coming up next year. We have a unique situation that I think will play out in a great way for us. My son owns the old high school property in the same town. He has 2 houses and 2 shops on the property, plus an acre of pasture we park all our projects in. Currently my mom lives in the smaller house, but she is planning on, in the next few years, moving back east to finish out her days with my brother. If she does that, we can use the small house as our home base and do all the traveling we want but still have somewhere to land when we feel the need.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote