Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2023, 10:50 AM   #1

New to this forum and excited!

I'm exploring the possibility of creating a full-time Skoolie so I never have to see snow again. I'm just starting the process of finding a good base unit to start my build. I will be doing all of the work myself. Well, I might get a little help from friends.

This build will need all of the usual RV amenities: full kitchen, fridge, bathroom (preferably dry), storage, and a comfy bed. A/C, heat, and partial solar will be considered.

My passion is motorcycles so the rear 1/3 will be a garage/shop area. A bus with a rear wheelchair lift would be super convenient but not necessary.

I'm figuring on a total budget of $25-30k to do it right.

Glad to be here and I look forward to lots of good info and feedback.

jpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Welcome, Mr/Ms. Pacman...I think you'll find the forum here to be much more helpful than Facebook groups. If you post something really silly or dangerous, someone here will definitely tell you. But unlike FB, you won't have lots of random uninformed negativity whenever you show off your pics...and we love pics!

Be sure to update your profile with your bus info and location, as precisely as you'd care to, so you can get better help.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:06 AM   #3

Solidly Mr. (he/him)

I really love these types of forums. They are so full of helpful folks who have "been there & done that". Mistakes, pitfalls, things to avoid, and positive feedback. Just what I'll need.

I restore old Japanese street bikes in my spare time and I'm a maintenance tech by trade so I'm pretty handy. None of the mechanical, electrical, or plumbing challenges bother me.
jpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:19 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Welcome to the forum. I would offer a suggestion that only do a partial build to start with, and use it a few times to get a sense of how you may want things. we had two previous campers, so had some ideas to start with. Perhaps you have some camper experience too. If so that helps. We are building our second skoolie now. Many do not stop at just one, you get build fever after a bit....
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:11 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 63&5
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: HPO
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpacman View Post
My passion is motorcycles so the rear 1/3 will be a garage/shop area. A bus with a rear wheelchair lift would be super convenient but not necessary.
That makes your bus a toyhauler. I luv toyhaulers!

You forgot to mention street or offroad bikes, dualsport (or what, 'adventure' bikes these days?).

Quote:
I'm figuring on a total budget of $25-30k to do it right.
If you get it all done in that budget I will buy you a dinner!

Quote:
Glad to be here and I look forward to lots of good info and feedback.
Welcome. Remember to post pics, each picture is worth a thousand dollars of work!
UFO pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:05 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
thats a lot to pack into even a full size schoolie. make a chalk drawing on your driveway and see what your plan will be like in full size scale. we made a few changes after we did that. you might do better pulling a shop trailer and have everything you want
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:16 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpacman View Post
Solidly Mr. (he/him)

I restore old Japanese street bikes in my spare time and I'm a maintenance tech by trade so I'm pretty handy. None of the mechanical, electrical, or plumbing challenges bother me.
I have a '75 Yamaha rd350 that needs some serious help, do you have experience with them?
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote