Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #1

New with questions

Hey! I just joined here! Little background.. I'm 41, have a partner and 2 teens, 4 dogs, work and am technically homeless. We live with the in laws and that is about to end very soon. Left with no other options, I am considering buying a bus I found for sale, and living in it. Here is the problem, I live paycheck to paycheck, so doing the conversion will take a bunch off time. We need it now. I am ok living extremely rudimentary, as are my kids. But I was looking for some ideas to get the main things going faster, like solar and water. How do I go about finding the right systems for what I need? I have looked at several sites, but honestly I dont have 24/7 to filter through the information.
What is the easiest solar set up to buy and install?
Is there a complete setup that is ready to go and not gonna kill the bank? I really only need it for lights, my cpap and cooking/refrigerator. If it is good enough I will need it to also run my tv, but it's an after thought.
I know it's a lot, sorry. I will ask more questions later, as I think of them.

Phoenixrisingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I don't know that there will be a perfect kit (if any kits exist at all) for any one person. What I can tell you, as I've told someone else today, is to make sure you understand what you're getting with solar.

Solar panels are made up of individual cells that are wired together either in series or parallel. Parallel-wired cells are preferable because a series-wired panel will cease to produce power if any part of it is shaded sufficiently. Not that parallel-wired cells aren't functional, but the entire panel has to have sun in order to maintain continuous power. A series-wired panel, by comparison, will still generate some portion of its total max output even when partially shaded.

Just an FYI to bear in mind as you research.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post

Solar panels are made up of individual cells that are wired together either in series or parallel. Parallel-wired cells are preferable because a series-wired panel will cease to produce power if any part of it is shaded sufficiently. Not that parallel-wired cells aren't functional, but the entire panel has to have sun in order to maintain continuous power. A series-wired panel, by comparison, will still generate some portion of its total max output even when partially shaded.
I think you contradicted yourself.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I think you contradicted yourself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray Stevens - Yeah I Dee-Id.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	45065

Guess you could call me... u-nique. My sleep pattern is ridiculously out of whack and I am misfiring horribly today... LOL. Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
A series-wired panel, by comparison, will still generate some portion of its total max output even when partially shaded.

Just an FYI to bear in mind as you research.
I meant to say here that a PARALLEL-wired panel, by comparison, will still generate some portion of its total max output even when partially shaded. Series-wired will not.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Consider an rv.

It will be much more "done" and will be ready to go.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help please!, solar system