Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #1

Newbeeees

Hello all,
After a year of going back and forth if this is what we wanted to do we have found our skoolie. 6 weeks of hard searching we found our 1994 carpenter school bus on market place. It has 9 windows and is almost everything we were looking for other than we wanted a handicap door on the side. Made it 200 miles and we are broke down in a rest area, leaking coolant terribly. Everyone advised us to have a mechanic look through it before we bought but we got over excited. If I can give any new skoolie potential buyers a word to the wise “have it checked out”
Attached Thumbnails
42BE7F33-20EB-4F81-B111-E79375A0C40B.jpg  

Sweedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweedster View Post
Hello all,
After a year of going back and forth if this is what we wanted to do we have found our skoolie. 6 weeks of hard searching we found our 1994 carpenter school bus on market place. It has 9 windows and is almost everything we were looking for other than we wanted a handicap door on the side. Made it 200 miles and we are broke down in a rest area, leaking coolant terribly. Everyone advised us to have a mechanic look through it before we bought but we got over excited. If I can give any new skoolie potential buyers a word to the wise “have it checked out”
Exactly why I tell people to have new purchases checked out, though I must say, quite a feat, standing on its nose like that. No, seriously... Whereabouts are you? Are you in Virginia? Maybe I can help.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Hello all,
Where are you?
Old 03-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
dognose bus most coolant leaks are an easy fix unless it the radiator and please do not believe the stop leak mess it will make matters worse in the end.
where exactly are you and how bad is it leaking.
assume it only started leaking after it was warmed up?
did the temp guage get in the 200 plus range or you stopped for fuel and noticed a leak?
help us help you.
what make do you have? i caint tell with your bus nose stuck in the tree but to me it is older and a square nose so 80's to early 90's gmc/chebby?
where is it leaking?
did you overheat and it just stop?
or did you catch the temp and or leak and shut it off?
in your picture you have a vehicle to help so what do/would you like help with?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #5

Amazing support

OMG, I am so sorry for not responding. I had absolutely no idea what an amazing community “you” skoolie’s have developed and there would be such a response to help. I was just posting to say how stupid we were, and to advise any others on our mistake. We have it home now was just a water pump. Made for a stressful week with it at a mechanics 300 miles away but all worked out. Now we are staring at 1500 rivets to remove, another word to the wise look for a bus with screws lol.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Even 'having it checked out' can only point out the obviousm which is something you need to learn to see yourself before you take a road trip. Unless you expect to hire someone to do all the work on your bus, in which case, your skoolie will be a very expensive motorhome.

Most school buses typically operate short routes, they are not really made to go long distances at top speed.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
OMG, I am so sorry for not responding. I had absolutely no idea what an amazing community “you” skoolie’s have developed and there would be such a response to help. I was just posting to say how stupid we were, and to advise any others on our mistake. We have it home now was just a water pump. Made for a stressful week with it at a mechanics 300 miles away but all worked out. Now we are staring at 1500 rivets to remove, another word to the wise look for a bus with screws lol.
Glad it was a simple problem. Keep a check on it, and you might want to have oil and coolant samples submitted for analysis before they are next changed.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

Thank you for all the advise , we defiantly have a lot to learn but completely agree we are going to have to learn to work on this engine or your the mechanic bills will certainly hinder are travels. We are looking to design our kitchen in the back of the bus and put a Murphy bed in the center any thoughts or ideas on this design we have watched hundreds of videos and have not seen this design and thinking there is probably a reason?