Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Newbie

Hey Guys... new to the scene. I've dreamed for years of converting a bus. We have 5 littles, ages 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8. We are looking at a 1990 BB, just wondering what a fair price is for one that is this old. I wasn't able to get any info on the motor today, so I know that's not a lot of info to go on....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jewashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
GreyCoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Danglebury, Tejas
Posts: 310
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Welcome!

I got nuthin' to offer as to a fair price until we see motor/trans specs, but I got a name suggestion for a cool bus with so many little 'uns : "Romper Zoom".

But seriously, WELCOME!
__________________
"You can finally say you have enough horsepower when you leave two black streaks from corner to corner"
(Mark Donohue, famed TransAm driver)
GreyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 2,198
Without knowing how many miles, which power package, and which options it is hard to make a guess.

At a guess I would say it most likely has the 190 HP Cummins 5.9L with the AT540 transmission.

Some of those buses came with hydraulic brakes and some with air brakes. Air brakes are more desirable than hydraulic brakes.

It has 9" windows that are not tinted but it does have a white roof.

Typical mileage for a bus of that vintage would be in the 250K-350K range.

High range asking price on a bus like that would be $5,000.00. At that price it would need to have air brakes and lower mileage. Hydraulic brakes and higher mileage I would put the price closer to $2,500.00.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 503
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Welcome to the CRAZIES guys. I like GreyCoyote's name idea. BTW GreyCoyote, haven't seen any pictures from Arizona yet. Did you make it?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Without knowing how many miles, which power package, and which options it is hard to make a guess.

At a guess I would say it most likely has the 190 HP Cummins 5.9L with the AT540 transmission.

Some of those buses came with hydraulic brakes and some with air brakes. Air brakes are more desirable than hydraulic brakes.

It has 9" windows that are not tinted but it does have a white roof.

Typical mileage for a bus of that vintage would be in the 250K-350K range.

High range asking price on a bus like that would be $5,000.00. At that price it would need to have air brakes and lower mileage. Hydraulic brakes and higher mileage I would put the price closer to $2,500.00.


Thank you. I will try to get more info this weekend. It said 150k miles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jewashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome...and also determine what its' speed capability might be. There are an awful lot of skoolies that will not go over 45-50 mph due to gearing and rpm limits. Making the jump to actual "highway speeds" can be crazy expensive.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Welcome...and also determine what its' speed capability might be. There are an awful lot of skoolies that will not go over 45-50 mph due to gearing and rpm limits. Making the jump to actual "highway speeds" can be crazy expensive.


How do I determine this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jewashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,859
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you can get its VIN you can call Bluebird and see if they can give you the engine / trans and rear end gears of it.. you can look at the tire sizes yourself if you have physical access to it.. and then the top speed can be calculated.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Simplest way is to drive it. But, if that is not an option, you can use the calculator below ( but...you have to have all the right numbers to plug in).

Engine RPM Calculator
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewashin View Post
Thank you. I will try to get more info this weekend. It said 150k miles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jewashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
M1031A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Quinter, Kansas - Soon South Dakota!
Posts: 1,434
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
With the 5.9L diesel engine, rebuilds and repairs will be super cheap, but there will be a lack of power going up hills. If the bus has the better 643 transmission, then its worth more than the 545. The 643 locks up to give better mileage at higher speeds. The 545 lacks the lock up. To give you a comparison, my bus is equipped with the 3208 Cat engine (10.6L) with a 643 transmission. I paid $2K for her with 172K miles on her. The Cat engine is larger, develops more torque, but is more expensive to repair/overhaul than the 5.9L. For me, having been a semi-truck owner/operator having three Cat engines gone over 1 MILLION miles each, it was a super easy sell. Others say avoid the Cat, but I adore them. With the limited information provided, lacking the transmission detail - figuring it's a 545 - I'd value that bus at $2250 give or take a few dollars one way or the other. Just my opinion....
__________________
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
With the 5.9L diesel engine, rebuilds and repairs will be super cheap, but there will be a lack of power going up hills. If the bus has the better 643 transmission, then its worth more than the 545. The 643 locks up to give better mileage at higher speeds. The 545 lacks the lock up. To give you a comparison, my bus is equipped with the 3208 Cat engine (10.6L) with a 643 transmission. I paid $2K for her with 172K miles on her. The Cat engine is larger, develops more torque, but is more expensive to repair/overhaul than the 5.9L. For me, having been a semi-truck owner/operator having three Cat engines gone over 1 MILLION miles each, it was a super easy sell. Others say avoid the Cat, but I adore them. With the limited information provided, lacking the transmission detail - figuring it's a 545 - I'd value that bus at $2250 give or take a few dollars one way or the other. Just my opinion....


I think I can get it for $1,200-1,500...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jewashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×