Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello, my name is Brandon. I am 18 years old. I have not built a skoolie before but hopefully soon I will start on my first. I have watched over 15 different skoolie conversion builds on youtube and I like every single one of them. I found a bus I want to use that is free, only cost for the bus at first will be to have it towed to my house. I attached a picture of the bus im trying to get. The guy said he has no idea what kind it is or if it runs. All he said in the post was that he found it behind his house when he bought the house and he wants to just get rid of it. SO if anyone could possibly help me with what make it is and possibly what year it is, so i can get a new hood for it, I would greatly appreciate it. ~Thanks, Brandon.
Attached Thumbnails
00K0K_jkLZjoYKlOh_600x450.jpg  

B-randon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Welcome to the forum.

Please don't walk away from that bus, run away from it.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Please don't walk away from that bus, run away from it.
So I shouldnt try to get it?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-randon View Post
You would spend vastly less money, and progress much faster by buying a running bus from an auction site.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Before it can? Be towed it would need rear tires that even used around NC are gonna run at least 8-900$ and that's if the rims are not rotten.
A mobile tire mechanic at 50-75$ an hour to change them for you and then the tow bill$. Which will put you in the price range of a bus already running and being sold as road ready.
The grill looks like a Chevy/GMC used up into the 80's but what's left of the hood looks like a late 60's to early 70's and NC liked Thomas bodies for a long time.
Where are you in NC and what style/type bus are you looking for? Maybe I can help you find better options that are not free up front but will cost less in the long run than the free one you are looking at.
Even if you had that one towed straight to the scrap yard I don't think you would earn your money back at the current scrap prices.
Only if you demoed it in place and hauled it off in sections yourself with a truck and trailer would it be beneficial.
Put some bus money in the bank and you get the experience of tearing into one and seeing how it was put together before you renovate the one you actually get.
At least you would see all the problems and fasteners it has and have an idea of how to go about selective demo on yours.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You would spend vastly less money, and progress much faster by buying a running bus from an auction site.
Okay sounds good. Thanks for the heads up. I just thought that it would have been a good idea since it is partially free, and theres always a possibility to get it running again. But there is also a high possibility it wont run again and i will spend thousands of dollars trying to get it in running condition again. So thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it
Old 04-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Before it can? Be towed it would need rear tires that even used around NC are gonna run at least 8-900$ and that's if the rims are not rotten.
A mobile tire mechanic at 50-75$ an hour to change them for you and then the tow bill$. Which will put you in the price range of a bus already running and being sold as road ready.
The grill looks like a Chevy/GMC used up into the 80's but what's left of the hood looks like a late 60's to early 70's and NC liked Thomas bodies for a long time.
Where are you in NC and what style/type bus are you looking for? Maybe I can help you find better options that are not free up front but will cost less in the long run than the free one you are looking at.
Even if you had that one towed straight to the scrap yard I don't think you would earn your money back at the current scrap prices.
Only if you demoed it in place and hauled it off in sections yourself with a truck and trailer would it be beneficial.
Put some bus money in the bank and you get the experience of tearing into one and seeing how it was put together before you renovate the one you actually get.
At least you would see all the problems and fasteners it has and have an idea of how to go about selective demo on yours.
Good luck
I appreciate the help. Im in Statesville, Nc. Near Troutman, Taylorsville, and Stoney Point
Old 04-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
And old bus like that is awesome and looks cool, but it will need a full restoration in that condition and be VERY expensive just to get it running and driving.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
And old bus like that is awesome and looks cool, but it will need a full restoration in that condition and be VERY expensive just to get it running and driving.
Hey Johnny, thanks for the advice. Im a huge fan of yours. I just recently subscribed to your channel, and have been watching all your updates. Keep up the good work man
Old 04-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Start checking with your local counties bus barns.
You are in a good area to find a mountain area highway speed bus.
And summer is coming so a lot of NC districts get rid of there busses in the summer so they have time to train drivers and mechanics in/with the new ones.
In the Graham/MEBANE area is the biggest bus barn I have ever seen and most of those busses run I85/40 speed (65-75) so check into i think it is mecklenburg county.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Nope...it's dead...does he even have a title since it was abandoned?
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Nope...it's dead...does he even have a title since it was abandoned?
Even though it was abandoned he does indeed have the title
Old 04-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Amen. Old chev or gmc . Probably a gasser, or should I say "maybe" a gasser.looks like a 1966 to a 1972. Been there awhile. Gonna need a motor at least. Where can a person stop? Brakes, hmm maybe. And almost everything else.I didn't look at the glass. If you are going leave it parked, MAYBE. Definitely take a very close look, then take another LOOK.
GW
GWinKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Even though it was abandoned he does indeed have the title
Then that's a plus...now it's about money and time...you gonna lots of both
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:09 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
They say even after you put lipstick on a pig,its still a pig. If he wants it gone you could prob scrap it add a little money and get a good road worthy bus. That thing would bleed you dry before you got it off that property. Take your hopes and ambitions and put it into a bus that will be safe and not break your bank.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
If he just wants it gone I'd go there with a sawzaw & just start cutting, throw everything into a pickup & sell the scrap.

Oh & if he wants to charge you anything just walk.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Okay sounds good. Thanks for the heads up. I just thought that it would have been a good idea since it is partially free, and theres always a possibility to get it running again. But there is also a high possibility it wont run again and i will spend thousands of dollars trying to get it in running condition again. So thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it
As a motorcycle builder we have a saying that is extremely accurate and it applies to this particular subject as well, "there is nothing more expensive than a free motorcycle". In this case you can't run away fast enough from this unit. I doubt the owner has enough cash to pay me to haul it off. Probably cost more to move it than it has scrap value.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
As a motorcycle builder we have a saying that is extremely accurate and it applies to this particular subject as well, "there is nothing more expensive than a free motorcycle". In this case you can't run away fast enough from this unit. I doubt the owner has enough cash to pay me to haul it off. Probably cost more to move it than it has scrap value.
Yea thats why I was suggesting to the poster to cut it up, 18 yr old should have time with the longer days to cut it up & if he hits it hard could probably do it in 1 day & still maybe earn $1000.00 or so, don't forget to include all hardware & worn & broken saw blades that all adds weight.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
that'd be a pass for me. just like everyone said.... way too much TLC and $$$ to get it road worthy!
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote