Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #1

Newbie Enthusiasts here in Texas

Manifesting over here! You can never do enough research and planning. Any advice you would give a newbie is much appreciated!

Looking to build in South Texas on a piece of land. Leaning more to the Flatnose FE side ( more for living and traveling on occasion ) I know it can get hot, but better for me to drive. I think! Lol

Figured out insurance just to move bus once we find it…To get commercial vehicle insurance and then rv through National General or others once build is completed. There are also temp tags on dmv, but just want to know best way to do it the right way. Better safe than sorry!

Wanting to be totally off grid. Probably start off with self pump plumbing/ solar shower and composting to move in sooner and later work on fresh/grey water tanks.

Still figuring out Solar. That’s been my weakest research point cause it’s a lot of technical and math skills. So please help with that is awesome! Looking into Bluetti Power Station to start…Then just a Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator and 11000 BTU portable a/c unit. Tiny wood stove is a plus for me!

As far as build I’m going to be using as much recycled goods as possible. I know Habitat For Humanity, Facebook Maketplace, and craigslist for materials. Also factoring in weight of everything cause it’s harder to insure heavier builds.

What does everyone do for security? Any cameras or maybe ring doorbell so I can see without being there is a possibility? I like the idea of changing the door and adding a keypad lock. Heard those were good. Open to suggestions though.

I mean I could go on and on…any tips are appreciated. Definitely been on skoolie.net religiously and online shopping on government surplus auctions, but would like to have to transport too far.

Anyway! Thank you for reading ✨
Attached Thumbnails
65E9793E-8370-44B5-8625-AE1BB268169C.jpg  

itsfeliciafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
everything you need to know is right here, you just haven't spent enough time reading.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
It took me a year of study before I knew enough about solar to purchase equipment. Be patient and read, study, take notes. Consider the dangers of installing a solar power system that you don't really understand. The satisfaction you will posses once your system is installed and operating is enormous. Its also safer.

This forum + DIY solar forum is all I used for research.

Good luck, have fun. The planning stage is almost as fun as laughing at the lights "turning on" when you flip the switch. PM if necessary.
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 25'-8" Handy Bus
Engine: 5.9 12v Allison 545
Rated Cap: 22 Pass Now 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfeliciafox View Post
Manifesting over here! You can never do enough research and planning. Any advice you would give a newbie is much appreciated!

Looking to build in South Texas on a piece of land. Leaning more to the Flatnose FE side ( more for living and traveling on occasion ) I know it can get hot, but better for me to drive. I think! Lol

Figured out insurance just to move bus once we find it…To get commercial vehicle insurance and then rv through National General or others once build is completed. There are also temp tags on dmv, but just want to know best way to do it the right way. Better safe than sorry!

Wanting to be totally off grid. Probably start off with self pump plumbing/ solar shower and composting to move in sooner and later work on fresh/grey water tanks.

Still figuring out Solar. That’s been my weakest research point cause it’s a lot of technical and math skills. So please help with that is awesome! Looking into Bluetti Power Station to start…Then just a Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator and 11000 BTU portable a/c unit. Tiny wood stove is a plus for me!

As far as build I’m going to be using as much recycled goods as possible. I know Habitat For Humanity, Facebook Maketplace, and craigslist for materials. Also factoring in weight of everything cause it’s harder to insure heavier builds.

What does everyone do for security? Any cameras or maybe ring doorbell so I can see without being there is a possibility? I like the idea of changing the door and adding a keypad lock. Heard those were good. Open to suggestions though.

I mean I could go on and on…any tips are appreciated. Definitely been on skoolie.net religiously and online shopping on government surplus auctions, but would like to have to transport too far.

Anyway! Thank you for reading ✨
It sounds like like plan on living in it while building + off Grid.

That will complicate things a bit, but not impossible. You might want to pick up a cheap used travel trailer to live out of, this way you are not trying to live in your work area.
You'll need power to live and to work on it, so a generator will be needed for power.

I'd start there and as others have suggested use the search feature here for info.
Trooper2 is offline   Reply With Quote