Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Newbie from Birtish Columbia trying to make first purchase!

Hello, my girlfriend and I are looking to acquire a bus and turn it into a skoolie. We have been looking at purchasing a home for a while, but houses in the area are $300,000, and while we could afford a mortgage in that range, we would rather not have that high of a cost of living. We were looking at tiny houses, but bare properties around here are still in the neighborhood of $120,000, and again, we'd rather save our money for travelling. We are looking at this one right now. I can't find much information about it though. Does anyone have any idea what the interior dimensions would be? How tall/wide/long it is? Is there anything I'm not thinking of that makes a bus like this difficult to convert? What should I be looking for? I like that this has the entire basement, making it much easier to put in the electrical and plumbing components. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

fxskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Make sure to check for rust, especially on the air beams
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
welcome! I like your attitude toward not paying 300k for a house. Im in the same boat, I live in an old little house, and cannot bring myself to part with that much money for a McMansion. Anyway, do some research, you'll find what you're looking for. Lots of good people here. Bus dimensions vary a lot. They are generally all about the same width, (a bit over 2M), but vary a lot on length and height... Mine is about 10M long, (but its more for weekend trips, not full-timing).
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
Make sure to check for rust, especially on the air beams
What's an air beam? Something specific to motor coaches? Or have you just sent me to the commissary for 50' of shore line?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
I live in an old little house, and cannot bring myself to part with that much money for a McMansion.
See, the problem here is that old tiny house, that is barely livable is $279,000. McMansion's start at $500,000. I live in a rural town of 15,000 people. If i move to a town 20 minutes away, with 3000 people, I might saved $50,000 for that shitty old beat up house. They call it a housing crisis here. They recently instituted a 15% tax for foreigners buying property in Vancouver, and another large penalty for houses sitting empty, as a lot of foreign property investors have driven prices so incredibly high. Income has barely moved in 20 years, but housing has gone up 1000% in some cases. The girlfriend and I make 70k+ a year, the bank tells my I can buy a house that is 40% of my income, being I have no debt. I just refuse to pay $2000 a month for a reasonable place to live. 40% of my income is not reasonable. Right now I live in a basement suite that hasn't had a rent increase in 3 years, ~$1000 a month, if I move to a tiny studio, my rent won't even change.
fxskater is offline   Reply With Quote