Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #1

Newbie Here! :)

Hey all!

Super new to this, and by new I mean NEW haha

I've been reading for days and there is TONS of information, sometimes it can even be a bit overwhelming.

First things first, type of bus and what would work.

There seems to be a general consensus on engine and tranny types and it seems that what the bus/shuttle was originally used for could determine its "life span".

I should probably start with this:

I still work full-time and don't plan on quitting work or retiring early lol, therefore, a full size bus is NOT my plan right now.

I'm interested in a mini bus or shuttle as it will be used primarily for taking trips up to VT for a few days at a time for snowboarding but I would like it to also be able to withstand a couple cross country trips a year to board Colorado/Utah. (I'm in the Northeast)

I promise I will read as much as possible to not annoy or waste anyone's time before I ask questions but here are some of the following:

What type of mini I should be looking at that can withstand weekend trips as well as a couple cross country trips a year.

Undercarriage clearance seems to be a concern as I would LIKE to have water tanks to be able to actually live in it for a weekend/week or so. I would presume undercarriage space is possible even on a mini but it seems as though I would need to go the mini bus route rather than a shuttle as the shuttles do seem much lower to the ground?

Also, in terms of the type of bus; it seems that people don't like school buses due to the extended idling rather than consistent routes (if I'm reading the info correctly) but 5/6 window school buses do seem to be all I'm really finding in he mini bus category.

In addition to the "type" of bus and what it was used for, I see a lot of people like the bigger Cummins such as the 8.3 and solid trannys such as the MD3060/2000 Series but I'm assuming those are more geared towards full size live in conversions? Again, I want something for weekend/week trips but I still want it to be powerful enough to putt around in snowy terrain.

Again, sorry for the rookie questions you guys probably get ALL the time. I'm SUCH a newb. I know nothing about these and unfortunately, 4 cylinder turbocharged WRX knowledge doesn't translate to buses ; haha

Thank you and I look forward to talking and learning from you all!

Andrew

AndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
it seems that people don't like school buses due to the extended idling rather than consistent routes (if I'm reading the info correctly)
Uh, we're kinda all about school buses around here. Welcome to skoolie.net, and keep on reading!
Old 02-20-2021, 03:53 PM   #3

School bus is 99.9% the route I'm going, just need to figure out these basic logistics first! Thank you!!
Old 02-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Welcome, I wouldn't worry too much about asking "noob" questions and frankly while search is OK, its no substitute for some of the expertise you can find lurking around here. Yes, search but if you have a question, don't hesitate.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Yeah, I can't even find stuff in my own build thread, let alone the site as a whole.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Welcome, I wouldn't worry too much about asking "noob" questions and frankly while search is OK, its no substitute for some of the expertise you can find lurking around here. Yes, search but if you have a question, don't hesitate.
Thank you!

My first and main issue before settling on a bus purchase is the whole bathroom ordeal. I'm afraid I may not be able to get away with a mid yet for space reasons but full bathrooms/showers in a mini seem to be super rare and difficult. So then the catch with doing a mini without a bathroom or a shower is trying to navigate how and where to utilize those things haha 😒
Old 02-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Anything can be done to any bus with the right amount of $$ in the owners pockets, so to speak.

Having said that, and assuming your not Bill Gates rich, a cutaway, (van front end/chassis), is probably going to be your best, least expensive type of bus to start with. Although shorty prices have lurched upward lately.
Parts are cheaper than on a full sized chassis bus. Parking and general handling in traffic is better.

Gas power over diesel in the northeast works best if you plan on winter trips away from 110v. engine heater plugins.

The downside to cutaway busses is less interior space. There are many who do get in a bath/shower in a short/cutaway bus. You just have to plan accordingly, or find a design you like that has already been done, and copy that.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Anything can be done to any bus with the right amount of $$ in the owners pockets, so to speak.

Having said that, and assuming your not Bill Gates rich, a cutaway, (van front end/chassis), is probably going to be your best, least expensive type of bus to start with. Although shorty prices have lurched upward lately.
Parts are cheaper than on a full sized chassis bus. Parking and general handling in traffic is better.

Gas power over diesel in the northeast works best if you plan on winter trips away from 110v. engine heater plugins.

The downside to cutaway busses is less interior space. There are many who do get in a bath/shower in a short/cutaway bus. You just have to plan accordingly, or find a design you like that has already been done, and copy that.

Thats what i was thinking in terms of size to be honest. i just want something to work well for 3/4 day trips to VT and 7-10 day trips to CT and UT.

I see you mentioned the heating portion, I've done someee research on that and ive seen so many options. diesel engines many different options from a small wood stove to even 90,000btu mini splits that cool and heat.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

My bad on "heating".
What I was getting at is diesel engines are not as good/efficient as gasoline engines in extremely cold weather.
Diesel engines will start better in cold if plugged into 110v. to heat the engine block. Then you must run cold weather blend fuel, or diesel additives to keep the fuel in a liquid state!

Just more to consider if you have the choice between gas or diesel engine power.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
In general a shuttle bus has more space than a school bus, a school bus is made for children, a shuttle bus is made for adults, it is wider and taller, and also a fiberglass box, so it will be much easier to insulate. And insulation is the huge if camping in the snow.
You should find that video on snowboarders in the Skoolie freezing their asses off. So funny! hahaha..NOT.

You could get an old trailer to gut so you can add 2+inch insulation everywhere, no insurance or registration expense. lower floor height without a drivetrain, little to maintain.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
LOL, the hardest thing you'll likely have to do is find a vehicle in the northeast that isn't a total rust bucket, whatever the type.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:46 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
LOL, the hardest thing you'll likely have to do is find a vehicle in the northeast that isn't a total rust bucket, whatever the type.
/\...No truer words have ever been written!

Stay far, far, far away from the nation's rust-belt in procuring a good bus that will stand the test of time, body/chassis wise...
Old 02-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Many people I've come across who have installed full bathrooms ultimately find it's a waste of space. Think about how little time you (well, most of us?) spend in the bathroom.
The shower part you can resolve by having your sink faucet go out a window for an outdoor shower. However, hm, not sure how fun that'd be in the winter in VT. Wet wipes could be your friend.
I kinda like how they did a private toilet, utilizing also as a coat closet:

You mentioned having tanks underneath, so consider if you'll be places where those might freeze. May need to insulate and heat them or keep them inside.

These guys have converted a few buses and are seeming to enjoy their Duramax shortie for its power:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn6lRkNHXO5/
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
My bad on "heating".
What I was getting at is diesel engines are not as good/efficient as gasoline engines in extremely cold weather.
Diesel engines will start better in cold if plugged into 110v. to heat the engine block. Then you must run cold weather blend fuel, or diesel additives to keep the fuel in a liquid state!

Just more to consider if you have the choice between gas or diesel engine power.

Good luck!
hmmm that's a good point, so I guess id have to compare that vs price of gas, mpg, etc.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
In general a shuttle bus has more space than a school bus, a school bus is made for children, a shuttle bus is made for adults, it is wider and taller, and also a fiberglass box, so it will be much easier to insulate. And insulation is the huge if camping in the snow.
You should find that video on snowboarders in the Skoolie freezing their asses off. So funny! hahaha..NOT.

You could get an old trailer to gut so you can add 2+inch insulation everywhere, no insurance or registration expense. lower floor height without a drivetrain, little to maintain.
I thought about this as well but I kept reading to stay away from fiberglass bodies. do you have any more insight on the comparison?
Old 02-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
haha oh Im aware. im planning on finding one down south and bringing it up. my parents are moving to NC so it'll be a nice point to start looking.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
Many people I've come across who have installed full bathrooms ultimately find it's a waste of space. Think about how little time you (well, most of us?) spend in the bathroom.
The shower part you can resolve by having your sink faucet go out a window for an outdoor shower. However, hm, not sure how fun that'd be in the winter in VT. Wet wipes could be your friend.
I kinda like how they did a private toilet, utilizing also as a coat closet:

You mentioned having tanks underneath, so consider if you'll be places where those might freeze. May need to insulate and heat them or keep them inside.

These guys have converted a few buses and are seeming to enjoy their Duramax shortie for it's power:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn6lRkNHXO5/
Totally understand, no bathroom probably means no tanks so im actually thinking to say screw the bathroom and just utilize gyms (which I would anyways bc I workout) and daily passes to rec centers or campgrounds. I've also seen these compost toilets that seem super efficient.

I feel like doing that without a shower would be way better space wise and would save money on not needing a bunch of tanks no?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:05 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
haha oh Im aware. im planning on finding one down south and bringing it up. my parents are moving to NC so it'll be a nice point to start looking.

Down south huh? Well, I know of a place in VA that I visited twice last summer. At that time they had over a hundred used school buses from all over VA and 4 or 5 shorties on medium duty chassis and I had the hots for a particular 6 window Freightliner with a CAT 3126 and a 5 speed. It was everything I was looking for but it had one flaw. It was geared such that 2500 RPM was 53 mph. I did research into how I might remedy that but by the time I had concluded it wouldn't be a big deal to swap the rear gears it had sold. I'm not sure about the rules here for listing such places so I'm not going to link it but if you PM me I'll provide the link.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote