Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

Question Newbie Here ! Insurance Question !

Hey guys, just wanted to start this out by saying I literally love this site and have used it for so many my questions! You guys are amazing and so welcoming! This is my first post please don't be too harsh on me, my question is that I'm looking for a bus currently but I don't understand what insurance I need to drive it home. I know what insurance I need after the renovation and all the requirements for it but I don't understand what I need to drive a regular old school bus home! I know I don't need a cdl because the bus i'm looking for is going to be under 26,000 lbs and it will have hydraulic brakes. Any ideas?

Hanna's Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Progressive will cover you until you start the conversion
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:10 PM   #3

Do you know if statefarm will as well? Also thank you sooo much for such a fast response!
Hanna's Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:22 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You're in luck State Farm will insure any vehicle you buy for 7 days to get it home and registered if you have an existing auto policy. That policy is extra nice, because they won't insure the bus as a bus, but will to get it home. All you will need to show LEO IF you get stopped is your insurance card for your other auto, a current BOS, and signed title.

I had an accident at my very fisrt fuel stop when I bought mine. Cop showed up, I had my SF agent on the phone. Cop took my phone and asked "Is he insured right now?" My agent said Yes, cop handed me my phone, got in his car and drove off.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

It is very possible the company you use now will cover any vehicle you buy for the first 7 days maybe even without telling them.

But you want a paper to show, so call your agent.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote