Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Chassis: IH Bluebird
Engine: IH DT466 350 hp
Newbie needs help

I'm going to pick up our new bus tomorrow. It's a 1995 International Bluebird with the DT466 350 hp engine and an Allison 4-speed automatic.
It's in very nice shape, runs good, etc.
I have two questions if anyone can help:
1. The front wheels have some sort of oil reservoir doohickie in the center of the wheel. Can someone explain that to me? What's it do, how you check the levels, etc. I looked in the forums and couldn't find anything.

2. Is there a source for manuals for the engine and trans?

Thanks, and I'm sure the questions are just beginning.
David
Fort Myers, FL

dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:17 AM   #2

Don’t know about manuals but the cover has plug in center for oil fill it should have a line around it . That is the fill line to make sure there’s enough oil in it.
Pedie3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The front hubs sounds like they are using an "oil bath" setup (fairly common). The cover should be clear plastic and should have 2 "lines" (Well, circles) indicating "Minimum" (outer circle, since it will indicate a lower level of oil) and "Full" (inner circle representing a higher level of oil). Overfull is just as bad as underfull (it causes the oil to churn and foam while driving).

FYI the seals in these covers do fail occasionally and typically the whole thing is replaced. Takes under an hour and most of that time is cleaning off the old gasket material (if needed), catching the old oil and refilling with new.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Your front axle as oil instead of grease lubricating the wheel bearings. The "window" allows you to see if you have a sufficient amount of oil in the hubs to lubricate everything properly. The rubber/plastic bung in the center pops right off so you can add more oil.

Manuals for the engine and transmission are available but they are not cheap. If you do end up ordering manuals from IHC/Navistar or Allison make sure you have the serial number off of the engine or transmission. While IHC and Allison made the same basic engine/transmission for well over 20-years there were running changes that might change parts and procedures greatly.

I think I would go back and recheck the spe'c's on your engine. The highest HP rating I have ever seen on a DT466 in a school bus was 285 HP. I am not saying it isn't 350 but I doubt it. More likely it is a 250 HP rated engine which was very common.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote