Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2023, 09:51 AM   #1

Question Newbie shopping for minibus that can tow a 3000lb trailer (loaded)

Hi All,

I have a mobile boutique set in a pInk vintage travel trailer that i tow. I'm shopping for a mini bus that can handle that load with ease. I'm a newbie so I'm guessing diesel over gas but am looking for input on all aspects please.

Thanks ☺️

Pinkytow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Diesel engines vs gas engines. Both have strong and weak points.
If you make short trips then I would go with gas...they are generally cheaper to maintain.

But, to get a good answer, we need more info. Are you driving 20 miles a day, 3 days a week? More? Less? What part of the country are you in? Cold weather? Hot?

Will you be towing in the mountains?

Many things to consider....
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:34 PM   #3

New York so cold in winter. Anywhere from 20-90 miles per day in spring/summer/fall much less in winter. Not typically through mountains maybe occasionally.i was thinking diesel due to greater life expectancy of the engine.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:33 PM   #4
Bus Nut

with the modern ultra low Sulphur diesel fuel I question if diesel engines will last as long as they used to.
Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will jump in here.

My 2 cents...I'd lean towards a gasoline engine for what you described as your intended use.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:07 PM   #5

Any idea of average lifespan of gas bus engine. Idk if it makes sense to buy one with 150k on odometer. I tried to Google but just saw really high numbers which I'm figuring are for diesel. I would steer clear of 150k on a car but a bus that might not be a lot idk
Old 02-12-2023, 06:35 AM   #6
Bus Nut

life span on any engine is going to be highly dependent on the maintenance performed. (oil changes and such)
I'd avoid high mileage too. And remember that it's not just the engine you need to be concerned about. The entire vehicle needs maintenance...transmissions, suspension components, everything.
The problem with odometer readings on a bus (and other commercial vehicles) is that the odometer doesn't measure idling time, which can be significant.
It's tough trying to buy a good used vehicle, prices are high and there are so many unknowns. It really is a "caveat enptor" situation.
I haven't purchased a new vehicle in decades....but, I buy low mileage used (25 -35,000 miles) when I bought my last pick up truck I was shocked at the prices...
Read up on drive trains...there are some to avoid at all cost. Use the search window on this website to do that.
Again, I hope someone else will join this discussion as I have limited knowledge/experience.

Tags
mini bus, towing